1949 gmc fc250

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jtzcamckenzie, Oct 22, 2012.

1. jtzcamckenzie

jtzcamckenzie Member

Hi my name is Jesse and i am new to the site. I just purchased a 1949 gmc 250 truck for restoration. This is my first restore. The truck has original 228 motor and turns free however I will be rebuilding it. I have most precision tools for measuring and checking journal dia. and brg. clearances and everything else but I am having trouble finding spec's and info on this motor. I would appreciate any advice or direction in this matter. I want to make sure it gets done right and would like to do it myself.

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Jesse, enjoy the ride while here, Got Photos?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Best Advice

Is to make it run and drive it a bit to see what all it needs .

Don't be sure you'll need to bore the block or grind the crankshaft ~ these are incredibly well designed and built rigs .

The cylinder head OTOH , will almost certainly need new bronze guides and hardened seats , DO NOT EVER get talked into using cast iron valve guides ! .

4. jtzcamckenzie

jtzcamckenzie Member

I cannot get pics of truck on here not sure if I am doing something wrong or what hope I got it now. 1949 GMC FC250. I am starting to tear it down to the frame. I want a solid base. This truck has been a dream of mine for quite some time. It will take a lot of time and patience but I have a muddy idea of what I want. I would still appreciate any input on where to find engine spec. and measurements. Also tires seem to be an issue, fronts are split rim 7.00-17, rears are split rim also but are 7.50-17. I am not sure this is a rpo or standard I just know tires are hard to find and expensive.
    1007121619.jpg 1008121719.jpg 1023121150b.jpg 1023121150c.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Jesse, welcome! Here's a link to a good source of info for GMC trucks. Click on engine specs and it will give you some good info on the 228 engine. http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0311.html

Good luck on your build and have fun with it.

Ken

6. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Awesome truck.

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for posting the photos Jesse, your truck looks great. Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. Zig

Zig Member

Another, yes another gmc!!!

WELCOME, Jesse!!!
    I hope you get around to posting pictures of the more MANLY GMC! These Chevy guys LOVE looking at the truck they *wish* they had... :D

9. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

Looks like a Chevy engine to me...

10. Zig

Zig Member

Maybe 49 GMC engines looked different? I looks Chevy to me, also...

It also looks like a stainless window trim on the passenger side~ Nice!

5 window and looks might straight! Awesome!

11. jtzcamckenzie

jtzcamckenzie Member

1949 gmc 250

The motors are similar to chevys but this is a 228 GMC motor, even though GMC is not the only brand to use this motor. I have been to OldGMCtrucks.com and they have lots of useful info. I am confused because the engine specs do not specify a year and they also say that a 228 motor has 30.45 hp and the tag on my truck says 85.5 hp @ 3000 RPM. I am still looking for engine specs and help on tire conversions since it is unlikley i will be able to find replacements. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

Since you are in Wisconsin, is it possible that your truck is canadian?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that the Canadian GMC's had the Chevy engines in them? Im sure someone will verify or correct me.

Nice truck through!!! Great to see another GMC!!! Here is a shot of a 228!

Easy Nate:) Don't get too wound up;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

GMC versus Chevy truck

I feel like these GMC guys are taking a head of us chevy truck owners. Are we talking of an invasion here ;) ?

Maybe this site help a bit to verify the differents in amounts of brands made in the past ?

http://www.gm.com/vehicles/browseByBrand.html

14. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

How did you determine this was a 228 GMC? Number stamped on the block to the left of the distributor, or the word of someone else?

That might be an original engine if the truck was made in Canada, but it has a Chevy valve cover. From oldgmctrucks web site:

Up until '53, the light duty trucks ran Chevy 216s from what I can tell. After that they used Chevy 235s, then GMC 248s and 270s in the late '55 on models. Most of this information is gleaned from reading parts and maintenance manuals, and as always, I welcome anyone who has information that they are willing to share and help others. The purpose of this site is informational and to help people. Scans of helpful information is always welcomed, but seldom received.

15. jtzcamckenzie

jtzcamckenzie Member

1949 gmc 250

I wish I could say I knew because I looked it up but it was info told me by the previous owner. After seeing the post about the motor looking like a chevy I did a little research and found out that the motor is actualy a 53' chevy 235. Kinda dissapointed its not the original motor but it does not change what I want to do with the truck. At least I know what engine specs and parts to look for. Maybe down the road I will find a replacement motor but for now this is good.

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

L o n g m o t o r e n v y

SWEEEEEEEEEET ! :D .

-Nate
    (now I gotta take a nerve pill :p )

17. TexCountry71

TexCountry71 Member

Hello Jesse, i am a new member as of today. I recently bought a 1950 GMC truck and it too will be my first restoration. it has a 228 engine with a cracked head according to previous owner. It was passing water to exhaust. I'm not sure what path to take either have a rebuild or find another engine. Let me know how you experience went with the rebuild.

thanks,

Victor