1951 3600 rear gears

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jacobtrucker, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jacobtrucker

jacobtrucker Member

ive been trying to find information about the rear gears on my truck. ive read some sites that say its stock gears are 4.67. it will get up to highway speeds with the little 267 sb with the th350 tranny but its runnin some pretty high rpms. would it be wise to try to find a set of 4.10 gears? ive got some fairly tall tires on it LT245/75R16E. ive had it on the road about 3 weeks now and drive it everywhere, its a blast to drive and everyone does a double take to see someone so young drivin it lol. [​IMG]

2. coilover

coilover Member

The back half of your driveshaft should be the open type on a 3/4 ton so swapping for a later pumpkin is a snap. I think they were offered as shallow as 3.73 but 4.11's should be fairly easy to find. Someone will have to jump in on this but IIRC the center sections will swap up to around 1972.

3. jacobtrucker

jacobtrucker Member

Thanks for your help sir. Everyone on on this site has been a huge help in getting the old girl back on the road.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pumpkins

IIRC ;

the '67 ~ '72 3/4 ton rigs with automatics will have the better ratios , I know you think they're extinct but they're not ~ G30 and P39 Vans abound , old Ice Cream rigs and Plumbers trucks ect. litter the landscape , go look at the nastiest ones you can find , if it has or had an automatic , crawl underneath it and count the cover bolts ~ if they're the same in qty. , you're nearly home ~ remove the pumpkin being careful to drag a BIG sheet of plastic or cardboard under with you so it won't drop into the dirt / sand / mud (you can tell I work in outlying areas) and be ruined .

It's out ? cool ~ now check the axle splines and if they match and the ratio stamped into the edge of the crownwheel are in your ballpark , you're in like flint .

This is a seriously nasty , filthy , greasy , heavy job but , IMO , well worth the effort .

Or , just take your rear end to Hooper's ect. and have your bill fold handy as it ain't cheap ! :eek: . ~ $2,000.00 + .

5. jacobtrucker

jacobtrucker Member

well Hooper's is out of the question. I'm not broke just financially embarrassed. I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open because who knows what ya might find with the farmers around here.

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

You can find a 410 out of a 72 around, the pace will be better than the 514 that some of the 3/4 or 1T had as mine did. You could also get a newer unit and just add the re-pop bigger rear fenders and no one will be the wiser.
    I chose to have Hooper’s built a unit for me, was not 2K but spendy and was before the crash in 08. The 342/1 is nice but think about a newer unit and the wider rear fenders that are out there.
    Good luck,
    Charles

7. classic.george

classic.george Member

you can find a 3/4 ton van years 87/93 that a little modification will be needed but its well worth it.. i can get you the indent # for it and you can go on a hunt and find the right rear end for your 3/4 ton and will be the same lug pattern and everything.

8. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    This is the perenial question, what rearend? I forgot what motor you had. But if you are not hauling heavy loads and mainly want to have decent milage and Highway speeds
    (65MPH) then even a 4:10 is high. Newer Model trucks had 3:55's, with that you can cruise at 65MPH at a reasonable RPM. From here you go to OD tranny's...right guys!

9. classic.george

classic.george Member

I'd recommend that van rear end i was talking about its a ratio of 3:55:1 i do believe.. it has been while since i've done anything with a 3/4 ton..

10. classic.george

classic.george Member

Indent # is E5TW4210BJ which is 39/11 for a ratio of 3:55 i believe.

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

To me the 410/1 was not good at all, still it beat the 514/1 that is why I had the 342/1 built and put in (twice). And so far the truck has been all over Ca. many parts of Az., into NM. and then on into Sierra Blanca, Tx. and back.

Last edited: May 2, 2012