1952 gmc

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dweb7321, Oct 3, 2013.

1. dweb7321

dweb7321 Member

I recently traded around and ended up with this "gem". It's my first classic truck build. I'm used to laying s10s and silverados on the asphalt. I've already started taking it apart cutting out rusty panels. I feel I may be slightly in over my head on this thing but I've told myself I'm doing all the work. any advice or tips on these trucks would be awesome and I would appreciate it. my plans so far are either s10 frame or Camaro/nova front clip with 2x4 tube rear clip and four link, the 228 inline is gonna go because it is not running and for what I would spend to make it run and be road reliable I could get a small block and a th350 or 400 and be on the road (this thing will be driven, that's why we build em right?) I have some air ride components left over from other projects but I'm not sure if I will use them or just do a static drop. I know I will need the outer cowl panels, front floors, toe panels, inner kick panels, and the inner cowl pieces. that list will probably grow the further I take it apart. the truck does not have abed so I'll either have to find one or get creative with a nice flat or tow truck type bed. here's a link to the photobucket album with my progress so far. http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/Dweb7321/library/krusty?sort=3&page=1 thanks for looking guys

2. pmoron

pmoron Member

Cool truck, dweb!

You and are in a similar situation, in that we both traded for our trucks and they're both 52's. Keep us posted, because you've got the makings of a sweet truck! I love the different details on the GMC's. Is yours a one ton?

3. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

welcome. i too have outgrown the minitruckin scene and moved into AD chevys. had a bd 85 s10 layin door. sold it to move to AZ. ol chebby is also a old minitrucker and had a bagged AD.
    post pics, we love pictures

4. Zig

Zig Member

Another 3/4 ton GMC!

Okay~ it could be a one ton, but hey, it's another GMC! :D
    Welcome to the site! Whatever you have in mind, you will find info already on here about how it was done, or someone that is doing it. Check the "sticky" threads. (How to build an AD by Russ is loaded with great pictures/explanations.)
    Where are you located? Someone may love that 228! :rolleyes:

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here.

6. dweb7321

dweb7321 Member

thanks for the welcome guys!

it's a 3/4 ton, but not for long. the cab, fenders, hood, etc. will probably be all I use from the truck. I'm selling stuff on ebay as we speak to get the money to buy all the panels to fix the cab. just sold an old superior industries metal flake steering wheel, should be enough to replace the cawl panel I've already cut out. due to my budget this truck will probably be literally built one piece at a time and it might me finished before my grandkids graduate college (I'm 28 and have no kids)

I would gladly sell the old 228 and trans, I can't guarantee it will run but it's all there down to the coil and air filter. I'm located in Campbellsville, kentucky

7. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i have a 3/4 ton and i too am on a limited budget and im "johnny cashin it"- one piece at a time. its comin along. i pulled 4 leafs outta that monster leaf pack and its still to high. im 29 and hope to have it done by my 30th birthday in 7 months

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I'm down with 3/4 ton...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dweb7321

dweb7321 Member

nice ride! very clean. you running gm front or after market mustang 2?

10. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i cant get enough of ol chebbys truck.

and coachs truck too. both are 3600s

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Fatman M2 superlow airride and a 95 T bird IRS with air. Stock chassis.

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

There is a lot more work than many think in mounting to an s10 chassis. I would NEVER clip one anymore, what with the aftermarket stuff available. With a Camaro clip, if you don't have it absolutely square, you will have endless problems, not to mention that you would need to completely rebuild the Camaro front, and it is a little wide.

An M2 setup, or Roadster Shop's new Revo, install is a snap. I can have the basic install done in a weekend, I think it is well worth the money. If your stock frame is in good shape, box it fully and weld all the crossmember joints and it will stiffen up immensely, not to mention that all the mounts are where they need to be.

Trust me, I am a budget builder ( on my truck) but I think spending money in the right places is WELL worth it. My truck is about 85% recycled stuff. The only new stuff is the front end and small parts like the shifter, rubber, wiring, etc.

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

14. dweb7321

dweb7321 Member

so I have my right kick panel and outer cowl roughed in, I tried test fitting the inner cowl filler, not a good fit at all. any companies make a better one or should I try to modify the ones I got to fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also I've rounded up a bed and doghouse. got both for $300. bed is first series 55 and doghouse is 51-53? chevy. I also got some full length running boards. just need a frame now, considering shortening the 3/4 ton but not sure yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

good to see youre workin on it.

16. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

You might find this helpful. It seems like there are a few of us having issues making the inner panel fit correctly. You're not going to like this, but you might have to take the panel off and rework the front curve radius where it meets the floor. There is a picture in this link that shows how it can be done. https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=21132

17. Wolf

Wolf Member

52 GMC 3/4 owners are awesome;) Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

looking good wolf!

19. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Welcome to the forums. Very cool truck, look forward to following along with your project. I dig the door signage on your pick-up. I have a friend in Frankfort, Kentucky that has bought some old fire truck parts from me. Are you associated with the company the truck was from? Thanks for sharing the photos.

Damon

20. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

The aforementioned door signage:
    [​IMG]