1954 Chevy 3600 wont start

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Devin Sexton, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Devin Sexton

Devin Sexton Member

The engine cranks and it cranks when the key is forwards or backwards so i dont know wbich way is actually on but ive replaced the plugs wires cap rotor points condensor solenoid and i still have no spark i dont know if it could be a bad ground somewhere but i know i have power to the starter i did not replace the key ignotion switch because i figured if its cranking thats still good but i dont know much about these systems any help would be great thank you

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The ignition (key) switch has nothing to do with cranking when you push the stomp starter on the floor. It has a lot to do with whether or not the engine starts.

Do you have a voltmeter or a test lamp that will light with 6 volts?

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. Devin Sexton

Devin Sexton Member

I do have a voltmeter

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Remove the distributor cap (two spring latches on opposite sides of the cap). LEAVE THE SPARK PLUG WIRES ATTACHED!!!

Push the points open with a screwdriver or other small tool and insert a piece of paper or light cardboard between the points.

Connect the black wire of the voltmeter to ground.

Set the voltmeter to read DC volts.

Touch the red wire of the voltmeter to the large stud where the battery cable connects to the starter motor.

What does the meter read?

Turn the key on (clockwise).

Now move the red wire of the voltmeter to the stud on the side of the distributor.

What does the meter read?

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

This would be easier on the phone. I'll send you a PM with my phone number. Watch for an "alert" in the upper right of the Classic Parts screen.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. Devin Sexton

Devin Sexton Member

I tested the battery it read just over 6 volts then i put it together and put it on the starter bolt and it still read just over 6 volts andwhen i put it on the distributer bolt on the side it reads under half a volt

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Devin figured it out. I'll let him post the details.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. Devin Sexton

Devin Sexton Member

After trouble shooting the issue with bill theres a bolt on the outside of the distributer that goes to the inside of the distributer i had a washer that was tightened all the way to the distrivuter grounding out the bolt that goes into the distributer once i took that washer off and replaced it with a rubber one so it wasnt grounded out anymore i have spark and its all working

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Don't you just love how simple and easy to diagnose & repair these old rigs are ? .