1959 Chevrolet Apache Fleetside Brake/Fuel Lines

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by blackbeard, May 8, 2016.

1. blackbeard

blackbeard Member

I am in the middle of a frame off restoration of my 59 truck. The cab and body are at the restorer and I am doing the frame (KBS coatings) and mechanical myself. Can anyone tell me a good source for preformed brake and fuel lines and fuel cell? I am relocating the fuel cell from the cab to below the truck bed between the frame rails. One other question I have is what type fuel pump is best to use mechanical or electric? The truck had an electric fuel pump before disassembly. I am having the 235 motor totally rebuilt and having the machine shop install a full flow oil filter, pcv system and HEI ignition all from Deve's who has also been a tremendous help in answering my questions and giving me advice. Other than these upgrades the truck will be totally original. Any suggestions or recommendations from people who have been through this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all responses

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. blackbeard

blackbeard Member

Guess I'll respond to my on thread since no one else has. Inline tube is a good vendor to get brake and fuel lines from very helpful and reasonably priced. Here are a couple pics of my truck before I started and where I 'm at with it now. I am making progress. Lots of work but it will be worth it once completed. Can anyone recommend a vendor for wiring and what harness is a good one? I am rewiring the truck and am looking for a simple wiring kit that is easy to install if one exist. I was hoping someone who has done this would chime in. There are quit a few to choose from. Thanks for any response!!

Attached Files:

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Blackbeard, I'm using American Autowire, Classic Update series, on mine. It's still in the box. I have already tested and mocked up the fuse panel mounting.
    The kit is rather expensive. I bought mine on super sale and saved nearly $100, on it.
    The "Classic Update" kits give you lots of extra circuits for cool modern stuff, like AC.
    I'm pretty sure our host here sells the kit.

Steve.

4. coilover

coilover Member

For most projects we use the Speedway 12 circuit ($145) or 22 circuit ($175) that have every feature the $600 dollar ones do. Unless you have power windows, power locks, power seat, fancy sound system, etc., then the 12 circuit is as much as one needs. Never a failure yet.

5. blackbeard

blackbeard Member

There are so many decisions to be made when restoring an old truck it is sometimes hard to decide what is the best option and most cost effective. I will be rewiring the truck and finishing and installing the oak bed wood myself. My truck will be stock and will never have power windows, seats or door locks. I am installing a radio. I am also installing an alternator instead of the stock generator and hei ignition from deve's. I have looked at most of the aftermarket wiring harnesses and was wondering the differences in the $600 dollar 21 circuit from american auto wire and the $170 13 circuit from ez wire/speedway other than the amount of circuits and cost. I have spoken with both companys and both say there product is easy to install with each wire labeled. I am using the stock speedometer and instruments and was wondering how the new harness will connect to each individual light bulb in the cluster? Splice into the bulb socket? From what I have read the 21 circuit classic wire update harness from aaw is specifically made for my truck with the ends already terminated? I can get that harness for about $425 plus shipping. My project has already cost way more than I originally wanted to spend so everywhere I can save money is a plus. Thanks for all responses!! I love this site!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  6. blackbeard

blackbeard Member

Getting close to finishing my complete frame off nut and bolt restoration of my 59 Apache Fleetside and thought I would post some new pictures of my progress. Wow what alot of work and $$$$ involved in doing one of these things correctly!! My restoration ended up costing about twice as much as I planned and that's with me doing most of the work myself. I can't even imagine what a turn key restoration would cost. Looking forward to getting my truck on the road again!! Thanks to those who responded to my posts!!!

Attached Files:

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

It really looks fantastic! Excellent work.

Steve.