1960 front wheel bearing / hub

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by sleepysal, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

Ok yes stupid question but............. I was going to repack my front wheel bearings on my 60 I( they are the ball bearing type) but I can not get them out, nor can I get the front hub off. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Pull the cotter pin and remove nut and pull off hub...that's probably what your doing so I don't see what would prevent removal..
    Bob

3. CHEVYTRUCKNUT61

CHEVYTRUCKNUT61 Member

The brakes are probably holding the hub on. But you should be able to get the outter bearing off if you do what 4JSAToo said.

4. Mr_G

Mr_G Member

My 66 has 2 different front hubs.

The prev ownr had the same issue and had to replace one of the old ball bearing types with the newer tapered "temcon" bearing hubs. you may need to do the same BUT, I have not been able to locate a spare hub for myself. Maybe someone out there can help us both out. Mr_G.

5. drabo

drabo Member

If the hub/drum is original then they are riveted together. After removing the cotter pin and nut you can attach a slide hammer to the hub. You might even need to smack either side of the drum to loosen up the pads. After you get it apart go ahead and drill out the rivets holding the hub and drum together.

6. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

Yup the shoes were holding them on!! So after thinking it over I decided to get rid of the ball bearings
    I found some hubs off of a 68 and will swap them out. I cant see spending 100.00 per outer bearings and 55.00 per inner. My long term plans are to convert to disc brakes, in fact I have all the parts , drop spindles, 6 lug rotors calipers etc. Every thing but time. Swaping out hubs is easier.... for now.
    Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

Thats the route I went I found a pair,hope you do too !! good luck