1963 C10 Parking Brake Question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by my63c10, Jun 21, 2010.

1. my63c10

my63c10 Member

Hello... I am new to this website/forum. I have a question about the emergency brake cables on my 1963 C10 stepside shortbed. The cotter pin on one of my pins broke causing the cables to come lose. I can see where the pin needs to go (see pic). What I don't know is where the spring and the other piece go (see other pic). My shop manual picture is kind of vague. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Ron
    Mentor, OH

Attached Files:

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

That stud goes into the wet looking hole in the parking brake lever. Then a washer and new cotter pin. This should leave you with a T looking assembly with the two brake cables going to opposite wheels {rear} All you need to do is hook up the spring to the rear of your truck, I think it went and hooked on the rear crossmember. That gives a retraction action when you release the emergency brakes.
    I went through the Search area but didn't find the picture that would really help with my explanation but hope this helps..
    Bob

3. my63c10

my63c10 Member

OK.... After I put everything back together in June from my initial posting, the emergency brake was working fine until today. The e-brake handle now pulls all the way out and the e-brake does not grab.... and the cables running back to each rear wheel are not tight. So I pulled apart pin at the "T" where both cables and the spring from the crossmember attach. I moved the assembly/pin to another hole to get rid of some of the slack. The e-brake handle now only pulls out about 4 clicks/teeth and both cables appear tight but the brakes still do not grab. What do I need to check and/or adjust? When I am driving/stopping the truck, all of the brakes seem to be working normal as I am able to stop OK. Thanks for the input as always!

4. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Should look like this..

Attached Files: