1964 C10 Lowering

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by vp23271, Feb 29, 2008.

1. vp23271

vp23271 Member

Hello all,

New to this forum and looking for some helpful info.

I recently purchased a 1964 Chevy C10 after a long search for a solid truck and now I am ready to do some upgrading. I am switching from 6 lugs to 5 and adding disc brakes to all 4 corners. I went with a local company called Classic Performance to pick up all the pieces and I am happy with the quality of the parts. I will be replacing the front with new upper and lower control arms and adding drop spindals. For the rear I will be swapping out the axles. The truck is already lowered 3.5 in the front and 4 in the rear and the new kit will maintain the same stance.

So here is my issue, the rims and tires that I like have a 4-6 week turn around. I would like to order them ASAP, but can't measure the backspacing until I have the new disc brakes + suspension installed. Right? I would prefer not to have my truck on jack stands for a month to 6 weeks. If I measure the back spacing with the original drum before the disc brakes are installed, how close will geometry/measurements match the disc brake set up? Does the new spindals/control arms or new rear axles push the wheels out or in? My gut feeling tells me that the surface the wheels mate to the axles or hubs, won't change much if at all. But I would hate to order up some rims only to find out they wont fit. This would probably be a non-issue, but I plan on going with a wide tire in the back and don't have a lot of room for error.

I could always just do the upgrades and let the truck sit, but 4-6 weeks is a long time without transportation while I wait for the 5 lug wheels to arrive.

Thank,
    Rick

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

The new parts should make it same as stock, with the stock backspacing. Don't take my word for it though. Call Classic Performance tech line and ask them, they should know the answer to your question. Welcome to the site!! Post some pics of your truck, we like pics!!

3. vp23271

vp23271 Member

Thanks. I will post some pic's this weekend.

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

personally im very anal with my measurments, id swap everthing over and then do the measurments. ive been were you are and thats how i did it. everything came out perfectly. product companys will tell you the mounting demensions are the same, but ive found thats not always true. also, is your new axle the exact same width? i put in a much heavier duty 12bolt rear and the width is 1" wider. im an old schooler and dont care for wider rear tires on trucks so that didnt effect me, but in your case, your going to be buying a wider rear wheel so youll want to make your measurments for your back spacing off the new axle and disc brake.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The disk brake conversion will move the front wheels OUT 3/4 of an inch on each side.
    And good luck getting an answer out of CPP. ( unless their customer service has improved )

Like Kustom advised, get the kit installed FIRST, then measure for wheel backspacing.

Val

6. vp23271

vp23271 Member

Thanks for the info! Picture of the truck is below.

[​IMG]

7. joe231

joe231 Member

nice looking truck!!!
    I like the wheels and hubcaps!!

8. 283 man

283 man Member

love your truck nice 64:cool:looks like its been taken care of over the years...:D

9. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Thanks for the pic, very nice.

10. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

I have to agree on waiting . You probably have a lot of cash in new wheels and tires. Id hate to see them rub on the fender. I also like the wheel and hubs you have on it in your pic. Kilroy was here!!!!!