1968 C20 wheels Info request

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by ChevyMitch, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

Hi.

A great forum here from a new fella!

I have a 1968 3/4 2wd, 292 six-cyl, 4 spd tranny, that I just purchased that was state park type vehicle and was sold at auction years later, poorly repainted and now I have purchased it.
    It has the factory 17.5 inch 8 hole rims on it and some very poor tires on it that need to be replaced asap. Ive been seeking 17.5 tires, but its really a pain to find them at a decent price.
    I was told by one salvage yard that this truck also came factory with 19.5 rims on it and those tires would be easier to find.
    No one seems to have these 19.5 rims either.. :( I was told to go to tall 16's. The truck will be currently used on the farm and I need hight clearance for rugged terrain, mud, etc.
    I would like to put some meats on the rearend for towing and hauling, etc. The front can be regular tread. It would be nice to keep it original though. One salvage yard said that I could step up to newer Chevy rims like 18-20 inches and another said that they wouldnt work and were too far inset. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

2. trailermo

trailermo Member

WOW 17.5 tires are rare on old trucks..we use 17.5's all the time on trailers but they are VERY HEAVY duty, like 4805 cap. ea. and cost like $200 new. The ones we use are 16 ply rated so the maybe too stiff for your rims. we some times get used one (take offs) So a tire shop that does horse trailer work may have some used ones in 215x17.5 new trailer rims in your bolt circle are made... have fun with you old truck

3. ChevyMitch

ChevyMitch Member

Thanks!

It calls for 8 ply, I think?
    I'd like to find some old 19.5 rims for it to get it up a little higher!