1969 Brake lights inop.

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Shane, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Shane

Shane Member

I recently bought a 69 chevy c-10, and noticed the brakes lights do not work . There is no power going to the rear. I have power from the fuse block and thru the brake light switch on the pedal. Where does power go from the brake switch? The rear blinkers and tail lights work.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Shane,

First thing to check is the bulbs. These are duel filiment bulbs and it's not uncommon for the filiment that works the BRAKE lights to burn out.

The next thing is the brake light wire off the switch. You may need to trace it all the way back. Look at the firewall harness connector and make sure it's fully connected.

Val

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  3. Shane

Shane Member

Yes I have checked the bulbs, they are good. There is not 12 volts running to the brake portion of the bulb housing. Also have checked the connector on the firewall and it also does not have 12 volts on the brake wire. There is 12 volts coming out of the brake switch. Does anyone have a wiring manual that shows where 12 volts go to from the brake switch? I have one on order but it has not showed up yet.

4. Shane

Shane Member

Well I believe I figured it out without a wiring diagram. The turn signal switch contacts are worn out and the brake light voltage runs thru this switch.

5. OLDIRON69

OLDIRON69 Member

I had the same problem, mine were a little corroded from the truck sitting, I turned the blinkers off and on a half dozen times and wammo! Everything worked.