1971 1-ton

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Justme, May 8, 2005.

1. Justme

Justme Member

I know most of you go with a 1/2 ton trucks. But thinking about converting over to a 1-ton dually. I am wanting to make it with a narrow rear end. like a cab and chassie uses. I was told that I could use the h.d. 3/4 ton rear and longer axle studs and the dually rims and tires. I saw a 70 model once at a swap meet,nobody was around. But it was a dually, and the outside rear tires were not much wider then the truck cab,and they almost lined up with the front wheels. THANKS

2. 1TON71

1TON71 Member

I have 2 drivers that are exactly what you are describing.One has a full size sleeper for long distance towing the other is only for stomping around town.Anyway I am parting out a service truck with a 10 foot bed and also is what you are looking for.The cab is mostly left, the bed,the differential...basically a roller.Also the cab is the one with the factory lights on top. Great for what you want. I am about done with it, I am in Tucson AZ. Interested? I might even let it go for free, I hate to see it in a junk pile. Please let me know.I can send pictures if you like.

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

Sounds awesome,its nice to see someone wanting something besides a 1/2 ton shorty.just using longer wheel studs will work with a set of dually rims on the back.they will stick out farther then what you want though. you will have to find the spacers for the front if you are going to use dually rims up there.

________
    Classaction Settlements

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. Justme

Justme Member

Well thinks guys for your reply. Havent got the frame together yet. But I did find some good parts at the local pick-a-part. I got a narrow 1-ton dually rear out of a 93 chevy. Its tag says its a 3.55 gear. Should be a great hwy gear. And the complete front end out of a 75 1-ton which looks like it will fit. $150 for the rear and $100.for the front. I went and bought all new bushings,ball joints,and tie rod ends. I can wait to start putting it together. I been thinking about something though. Since Its a rear coil spring truck,I thought about new springs. Or maybe even going with airbags. Maybe it wil be as tuff as a 1-ton,but with a better ride. I'm not sure. never rode in a truck with air bags. But I know one tons are stiff. Always open for new ideas and help.
    THANKS AGAIN GUYS !!!!!