235 Cubic Inch engine lifters

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 58 Apache Dave, Aug 15, 2012.

1. 58 Apache Dave

58 Apache Dave Member

Any information here will help. I recently had my 235 cu in inline 6 engine rebuild for my 58 Chevy Apache. It now has hydraulic lifters and a stock cam. I am concerned if I should use solid lifts instead with push rods or go with hydraulic lifters with open hole push rods. The valve bridge on head is rebuilt and original to engine. I am wondering if not using open hole push rods on hyd lifters will limit oil pressure flow to/thru hyd lifters and back pressure oil pump. I have checked out many sites concerning this but would really like to have guidance on areas to check out or mechanical knowledge on this. I do not want to loose my engine or hyd lifters vs solid lifters. Thanks, David :):cool::D

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

235 Lifters

Hydraulic lifters never worked well in 235's , not even when new . toss them out and go to Kanter's etc. for a set of brand new (not re ground crap) lifters and install them , adjust to the hot setting before initial engine startup , do the 60 second breakin then stop the engine and re - check and adjust them as necessary whilst it's hot .

Allow to cool off over night before re - starting and setting timing and final idle adjustments .

Proper valve adjustment procedure in here in the older posts .

Do not allow any goof to talk you into using hydraulic lifters ! they SUCK and rob power , always clatter , etc. , etc. I used to hate it when some Customer would drive into the shop in thier PowerGlide equipped Chevy and ask if we couldn't make the ding dang valves stop clattering @ idle when the engine was hot .

NO , IT CANNOT BE DONE :mad: .

Oops ~ please pardon an old Man's ranting , you might guess I don't much like juice lifters .

BTW : you DO know to break in your engine with Dino based multi-vis oils , right ? .

3. 58 Apache Dave

58 Apache Dave Member

235 engine hyd lifters

Thanks for the info on hyd lifters vs solid lifters. very much appreciated Nate. I will look into changing back to solid lifters and reset valves and timing once installed. Again, many thanks. David