235 Engine head bolts

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by dazysnow, Jul 9, 2000.

1. dazysnow

dazysnow Member

I have noticed on some 235 engines there is a special bolt on one side in the center. It seems like it would be on the distributor side. It is distinguished by a hole in the center and at the top is has a groove. Some engines have it, some don't. How do you know if you need it? Also, I am in need of the tightening sequence and final torque setting for an engine I am working on. Any information on this would be appreciated.

2. mark57

mark57 Member

what engine do you need info for?

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

In general the tighting sequence starts (facing the front of the engine)with the two center bolts. Start on the left(right side of vehicle) and move to the right(drivers side). Then move to the bolts foward on drivers side and then passenger side. Then move to the bolts on the back passenger side and over to drivers side. Remember to start in the center and work your way to the ends. Work your torque settings up in sequence using the same tighting sequence. Start at 45 foot lbs, then 80 foot lbs and finally end up at 90 to 95 foot lbs. Below is the sequence.

13 14
    9 10
    5 6
    1 2
    4 3
    8 7
    12 11

Passenger (FRONT) Driver