235 water pump

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jwvonl, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jwvonl

jwvonl Member

Greetings;

I am preparing a '56 235 for installation in my '47 3600 farm truck. In the /60's I did a number of these and at that time I did not worry about the cosmetics when I moved the radiator forward to clear the longer water pump shaft. My quandary is what pump pulley to use when I move the mounting flange on the pump back the 3/4 inch or so.

BTW

The "farm truck" label is because back in the old days the original owner had a grain box with hydraulic/cable hoist mounted behind the deluxe 5 window cab. In the years the old Omaha type box rotted away and the cabinet maker I bought the truck from made a diningroom quality white oak bed with red oak headache rack. The old 216 is still good, I just have a lot more trust in the 235. I am also changing to 6 hole hubs & wheels on the front, but still looking for a rear end with engine friendlier geeeearing to use. THe driveline is friendly, as the old closed tube converts to open shaft at the center bearing :)
    Any suggestions are welcomed.

John vL

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

235 Short Shaft Water Pump

This _used_ to be a very common item and all FLAPS carried it .

I heard one fellow tell me he got one from a Pep Boys this year (2006) .

I'd imagine looking in the business to business directory for an Automotive Rebuilder would reveal a cheap source , certainly the short shaft water pump has no reason to cost one penny more.....

Some guys carefully measure and then use an arbor press (or ,-gasp- a BIG vise) to press the drive flange back as far as needed then cut off the extra shaft left protruding , remember to leave 1/2" to pilot the fan & pulley on .

If you go look at old junker trucks , you'll prolly soon find one with a 235 and a short shaft pump , buy the old pump as a core and send it out for rebuilding via FLAPS , NAPA or whomever..

3. aimless

aimless Member

OFF TOPIC, but . . .

You have a '47 that HAD a grain box on it? My dad has one. Is it still on the ton-1/2 frame? is it on a pick-up frame? Dual wheels in back?

The reason I ask, is my dad has one, and I'd love to pull the cab and front clip and put it on a pickup frame, but don't know if it will work. I'd love more info about your ride!