261:can anyone help an ole truck dr

Discussion in 'Truck Parts for Sale' started by lazys53, Jan 24, 2006.

1. lazys53

lazys53 Member

live in Sparks,NV, but my heart is in Cali.( I wil
    Hey fellas, its been awhile, but my hunt continues, for a 261 with the full oilling system.Got a '53 with the 216, if anyone who has a 261 wants to trade, I'm willing to part with it for a 261.My 216 still a very good runner, oil changed religiously(?), when he was running.I put him down, if I kept driving him, I would never take those steps toward the "upgrade." Gotta get some more horses out my truck without the whole "chop & weld,hot-rod thing."So, just to save some time, I really want this engine,does NOT have to be running,I want to re-build it anyways,I live in Sparks,NV.I will drive to it, but not tooo far.So,fellas in N.Y. I'm not going THAT far.Maybe if someone has some info. on how to identify a 261 by the year, I could go, "junkyard diving."This summer is the year!!Got to at LEAST have it in my hands and get it re-built.I kills me to see him just sitting there. Yeah, I keep his fuilds flowing,start 'em up every now & then.Hoping one of my "ole truck drivin' bro's" come through.Later fellas, and take ours around the block for a down soldier. lazy

2. sevenpets0

sevenpets0 Guest

RE: 261:can anyone help an ole truc

I have a 261 in excellent condition. Does not need rebuilt. Has pertronix ignition and recent tune up. No smoke, no knocks. Will sell for $600, no trades. These have a lot more torque and HP than a 235.

3. lazys53

lazys53 Member

live in Sparks,NV, but my heart is in Cali.( I wil

Sounds like a good deal. What year is it from? Where are you? Is it running right now? Or is it out?

4. sevenpets0

sevenpets0 Guest

It is in a 1955 1st series cabover at the moment. it does run and you could see/hear it run if you like. The truck was owned by a grain elevator for many years and was well maintained. The engine purrs so good it tells me it must have been overhauled at some point. All you need to do is put your intake manifold and carb on it. (Cabovers use an updraft carb.) I live in eastern Kansas near KC. If you wanted the engine I would be willing to meet you in near Great Bend Kansas along I-70. That will save you about 200 miles. I had one of these engines in a 58 3/4 ton truck years ago and they have so much more power and torque over a 235 it is amazing. This will bolt right into your truck. The only modification is a shorter water pump which this one already seems to have.