292 on ice for 5 yr

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Stever1, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Stever1

Stever1 Member

Need some advice on best approach to starting and engine (292 going into a 66 stepside) that has been idle for 5 yrs. (actually it was completely rebuilt in 98...started once and has been idle since)...It is only frame mounted, but I need to assure myself that this engine is tight before I continue with the project...I pulled the head and all looks good ...pulled the pan and all looks good there as well..I assume to get this going will need to rig a gas tank, hook up the radiator and minumum wiring....

Also, would like advice on timing a I6...the distributor was removed..I've purchased a new one (HEI) and would like any feedback to get this timed properly....thanks, Steve

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Sorry I can't help on this, It seems no one else here can either.

Try:

http://www.stovebolt.com/

or Here; http://www.inliners.org/

DVal

3. drabo

drabo Member

First you want to remove the spark plugs. Spay a little PB Blaster down the cylinder and reinstall the plugs. Next remove the carb and clean out any junk that might be in there. When the gas dries up it leaves varnish and dust. Since the gas tank is not set up you can simply use a gas can. Take a hose from the pump to the can. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE LIKE THIS. Re install the carb and hook up the fuel line. More than likely the battery is no good so go ahead and replace it. Change oil and antifreeze. Next put a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt and try to turn the motor. Your motor might not have a bolt on the harmonic balancer. In that case just remove the pulley and reinstall the bolts. Use a prybar to turn the motor. After that it should be ready to start up. You might have to pour a little gas down the carb while you are starting it for the first time. Good Luck

Brian