3/4 to 1/2 ton rear end swap

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by jtkees, May 10, 2005.

1. jtkees

jtkees Member

I know all of you have done a 1/2 to 3/4 conversion. My 20 is gonna be a 10 and Im wondering about drive shafts/u joints/yolks and rear sway bars. I guess tips for either conversion are helpful. Front sus questions will come later.

The man with the most tools when he dies, wins.

Thanks

'67 C 15
    5/8 Ton

2. bvansic

bvansic Member

Why goof with swapping the entire rear end? Easiest thing to do is probably to swap out the gears in your current rear end (probably 4:10 or something similar) for something similar to a C10 (3:27, or something more driveable). Then remove the 2 overload springs which will lower the rear end a bit, and soften the ride. Pretty much everything else can stay the same. Viola - instant C10.

The only crummy part is you'll probably still have the 8-lug hubs, but those can be replaced with new or pick up a set at your local junk yard.

Which rear-end do you currently have? The Dana's are somewhat desirable, keeping it might be a good thing.

Just my 2-bits. Good luck whichever option you choose.

70 C20

3. jtkees

jtkees Member

Thanks for the reply. I did swap the whole rear end. Only a couple of minor problems: The u joint is bigger on the 20, but they make a universal with both size bearings for the conversion, and the panhard bars are different sizes and mounts. I cut off the 20 rear end mount and welded it to the 10.

Jon

4. jtkees

jtkees Member

Taking a second look. I think the panhard bars mounts on the frame are identicle from the 10 to the 20.

Jon