3 spd interference w manifold

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kens53chevypu, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Kens53chevypu

Kens53chevypu Member

I need help!
    I had my engine rebuilt and put on the Fenton headers and Offy dual intake manifold. The manifold interferes with shifting. The upper outer arm that shifts 1st & reverse is too long. About an inch too long!

I'm guessing that I will need to cut the arm shorter, relocate the control rod, cut and weld the control rod so that it is positioned similar to where it is now.

No - I'm not interested in a saginaw transmission!

I'd very much appreciate someone's expertise!

Thanks
    Ken

2. coilover

coilover Member

Ken--if you end up having to shorten your low-reverse lever you might want to shorten the transmission lever the same amount. If you don't shorten the one on the transmission you will have to move the shifter a LONG way to make a shift. Actually, I guess you should figure what percent you shorten the top by taking out 1 inch and do the same for the bottom because the same percentage might not be 1 inch there. Good luck.

3. Kens53chevypu

Kens53chevypu Member

Evan,

I still don't totally understand the concept, but I got the same response from Patrick at Patrick's. His example is that if the outer arm is 4" long and I take out 1" = 25%, then I should take out 25% of the arm on the transmission.

I've never done this, but this is what makes working on these old trucks so much fun, is that I get to learn something new everyday!

Thank you for your advice. I'd like to hear from others that have attempted this and get their opinion.

Thanks Again
    Ken

4. gwalters

gwalters Member

Ken

Did you get this to work? I'm having the same problem.

Gary

5. Kens53chevypu

Kens53chevypu Member

Gary,

I did have a friend cut & weld the two arms and yes I do have clearance for shifting. I ended up measuring from dead center on the holes and then calculated a percentage to cut out of the smaller one.

I'm hoping it will work. I'm in the process of doing a frameup restoration and it has taken longer than I expected. I've hit some roadblocks along the way, I kinda look at it as learning curves and hope to have it running by the end of October!

When I get there - I'll let everyone know how this works! Because if it doesn't - I'll be looking fora saginaw 4 speed, along with Patrick's torque tube conversion kit.

Ken