3 speed Transmission

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by johnson_restore, May 11, 2006.

1. johnson_restore

johnson_restore Member

Hello,

I need to know, does the classic parts dot com "transmission gasket kit" cover all transmissions that are 3 speed ?

Have any of you ever had an oily/leaky tranny ?

Is it easy to rebuild a tranny ?

What about resealing a tranny ?

Please help.

- Johnson

2. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

leave it to pro I have torn a lot of transmissions apart and to rebuild them doesnt just require changing gaskets. It is being able to inspect and know what normal and abnormal wear of the parts are. plus alot of the bearings and such need pressing on and off and myself I dont have a press yet and I find it a lot more convenient to just let a mechanic do the rebuild. The gasket kit I have no idea but I would say if it was for a saginaw or such it would cover all the 3 speeds

DISCLAIMER:
    this information is for entertainment purposes only any and all information must be jugded with good jugement to be true or false not to be attempted at home by minors...........

3. billydonn

billydonn Member

Excellent disclaimer... I agree with your advice too!

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

..It all depends John ;

You didn't say what year truck you have to let us know what tranny .

I;ve been building these GM three speed boxes for years and years , often using several old trannies for the best parts .

They can leak from various different places , obviously the rear output yoke seal is the # 1 point but also the shift levers can dribble quite a bit .

You need to go under the truck and de-grease it well then drive it and observe where the leak comes from .

As mentioned , if you screw up the shimming of the cluster gear or God forbid , loose even _one_ of the teeny-tiny roller bearings then re-assemble , it'll die a violent death ere long so mayhap a professional tranny guy is the best thing to do , me , I'd rip into it and if I kill it , then it wasn't any good anyways and I'll get another $75.00 used one and go from there...

:rolleyes:

If you're not a mechanic , pass .

5. SaLari

SaLari Member

The only differences between the motors is that the K24 is taller, but the transmissions are a different matter. The transmission mounts are different.

You can use the RSX 6 speed, or the EP3 5 speed. I am pretty sure that you can use the transmission from the K20Z3 as well.