305 and 350 crank/rod interchange

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by timpage, Feb 13, 2004.

1. timpage

timpage Member

Hello, I have read that the Chev. 305's and 350's essentially use the same crank and rods. What differences are there, if any? I have a 305 I am thinking of parting out anyhow, and if I can use the parts I would like to use them for my bare 350 block (Which is the motor I'd rather use of course). Thanks for any help and insight.

Tim

2. bigd

bigd Member

RE: 305 and 350 crank/rod interchan

Its a good idea to use the crank in the 350 I've been told that the 305 crank is lighter, therefore you get your rpm's up faster,the boys on the dirt track swear by them.Couldn't tell you about the rest though,but I wouldn't scrap all of it, ask your local engine machine shop about the rods to see if they can hold up.also you would want to use the harmonic balancer and flywheel to make sure it all balances out.hope this helps.:)

3. timpage

timpage Member

Thanks BigD, I will talk to my local machinist for more info.... I think I will use the 305 crank.

Thanks
    Tim

4. bigd

bigd Member

Hey Tim if you get your 305 crank machined make sure that the machinist champhers the oil holes out a bit for better oil delivery. If it doesn't need to be machined then get them to give it a polish and champher the holes.

5. webelnn

webelnn Member

If you check the cam specs you will also find that the 350 cam has about 12 thousands more lift. I had a 350 that I bought a new stock cam and lifters for and 3 months later the motor got trashed. Dont remember why, but the cam and lifters were still like new. So i had a 305 hangin aaround and that the cam and lifters went into. Sure did wake up that 305
    Jim