350 700 R4 IN 1964 1/2 TON ?????

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cori, Jun 20, 2002.

1. cori

cori Member

I HAVE A 64 CHEV 1/2 TON LONG BOX. I RECENTLY TOOK OUT MY 6 CYLINDER AND 3 ON THE TREE AND PUT IN A 350 SMALL BLOCK WITH A 700 R4 (BOLTED RIGHT IN WITHOUT MOVING THE MOTOR MOUNTS).
    EVERYTHING FITS ALRIGHT, BUT I PUT IN AN ELECTRONIC IGNITION AND THE PLUG WIRES ON THE CAP BARLEY FIT BETWEEN THE FIRE WALL AND THE CAP. I HAVE A GOOD 10-12" BETWEEN MY FAN AND MY RADIATOR.
    MY QUESTION IS, CAN I JUST MOVE THE MOTOR MOUNTS FORWARD, THERE IS AN EXTRA HOLE AT THE TOP OF THE FRAME RAIL THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BOLT RIGHT ON AND GIVE ME AN EXTRA 2 INCHES???? (I WOULD HAVE TO DRILL THE BOTTOM 1 BOLT).
    ALSO, I HAVE A 2 PIECE DRIVE SHAFT AND WAS GOING TO CHANGE TO A 1 PIECE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT WILL FIT?? SHOULD I STAY WITH MY 2 PIECE OR GET THE 1 PIECE CUT AND BALANCED.
    ANY INFORMATION ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AS I AM RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF DOING THIS. x( :)

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yes, you can move them and it is a good modification for those of us using an HEI distributer.

You essentially mount the motor mounts by moving the existing back motor mount hole over the front hole on the frame, then drill a new front hole using the relocated motor mount as a template.

Note: If you already had a drive shaft made for the old position you will need to have a new longer one made.

Dennis

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Go with a one piece drive shaft. It will cost you abour $100 or so to have made up.