350 chevy 87+ flex plate

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by a5llx, Apr 25, 2007.

1. a5llx

a5llx Member

Hey lads, im now having ny vortec engine rebuilt but am finding it hard to obtain a flexplate for an 87+ engine with one piece rear seal, as i didnt have one before i cant match the teeth number up for a new one !
    i have a starter with 9 teeth and straight mounting holes can anyone tell me how many teeth i need on my flex plate to match this up?
    Thanks in advance ASH

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

I bet 153 flex plate it going to be Most where the smaller but some did have the bigger one 168 . I beleve the one with the two bolts straight are the small one's, but the older one's come both angled & straight.

Do you know what the starter was of or what option trans ex-manifold
    truck style,and or vin this can help you find out what starters they had that option trucks. that if it's not been changed to a different style.
    hope this help a little . The nose or case should be smaller the bigger starter. I think it 3-7\8" 98mm or 4-1\4" 108mm

3. a5llx

a5llx Member

Hi, the casting number is 14093638 it was a boat engine .
    ive been told the mini starters have adjustable mounting points and shims to space the mesh properly , hence it wont matter which size flexplate i end up getting so hopefully my problems are over (for the time bein), so many variations im never sure what to do!!!!!
    Thanks ASH

4. drabo

drabo Member

Your block should be set up for either configurations. If the starter bolts are in a straight line then it is a 153. If they are diagonal from each other then it is 168. So if you are starting from scratch then it is what ever you want.

5. a5llx

a5llx Member

Cheers Drabo,
    got loads to do , but i always ask on this site, so many like minded people that KNOW what they are about, Thanks
    ASH