454 down to 210, is it possible?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by syly, Sep 10, 2010.

1. syly

syly Member

In Kansas City and need a smaller engine for my 79 chevy. Nobody wants to try taking out the 454 but the back went faster than the front.

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

If you're not that attached to the truck, it would probably be easier to sell or trade it for another. You should also look into your states smog/motor changing laws. If you really want to, swapping an engine isn't that difficult, you just need a hoist, time, and space to lay everything out. I swapped my 4.3L V6 for a 6.2L diesel in one weekend.

What are you looking for in an engine? Best mpg you can get? Or do you still want some power/hauling ability?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Reality Check

If you're handy with tools , go find a decent running truck with the engine and tranny you like , that's all rusted out or wrecked , buy it complete and have at it ~ remove the hood & radiator , rent or borrow a cherry picker and do it . lotsa labor but not overly difficult , having the junker truck handy means all those niggly little bits necessary to make a good job of it , will be right there .

Happily , GM made the frames standard to suit almost any engine and tranny combo so this is do-able on a DIY basis .

Take notes and be ready to repair / change wiring harness and plumbing etc.
    to suit .