48 doors

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mattman726, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mattman726

mattman726 Member

I have a pair of 48 doors for my truck but I want to use vent windows I was wondering if anyone else did this and if so any advice would b appreciated thanks

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Round up a pair of 51s. First year of the vents, last year of the turn down handles. You won't have to change the latches.

3. mattman726

mattman726 Member

Thx for the suggestion but I have a good pair of doors and I'm gonna use this pair

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Get a pair of junk doors to get the hardware and mounts from, then adapt them to yours. Most people go the other way and convert to 1 piece windows. You may be able to work out a trade to a hot rodder doing this.

I love my vent windows. They may not look as smooth, but they shure do scoop air!

5. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

That's so true! Around here most of the guys go from vent to one piece windows. I would say most of the conversions go that way. One of my boys did it a few years ago...now, the other just did it. He also had chopped, channeled(sic), cut and diced his truck. He just finished putting in all the window controls with his shortened windows, twice. The first controls were ones made in "the country that shall not be named." the gears stripped out the first few times of use. The next were some old ones that the gears are 64 years old and made in USA! So far, let's say "they continue to hold up to the test of time." New bolt/screw holes and different channel seemed to be the biggest thing.

Rod

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Rod,
    I have replaced almost all of the china clipper garbage that I thought I needed put back in junkyard items, and parts from Joe.
    The door hardware was the worst.

7. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

He wasn't telling you not to. He was telling you where to get needed parts.