4x4 to 2x4 conversion

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by JWilson87SB, Sep 12, 2007.

1. JWilson87SB

JWilson87SB Member

I need help. I have a 1987 GMC 1/2 ton short box 4x4 with a super clean body that I want to convert to a 2x4. I have not been able to find any info on swapping this direction. I am going with aftermarket front and rear air suspension so I think all I need are the crossmember and brackets for the upper A-arms. Are the frames the same? Can anyone tell me if this will work on a 4x4 frame and if so what else I would need to change... Thank you.

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

it would be easier to put your body on a 2wd chassis.

3. crew_cab1978

crew_cab1978 Member

I am going the other way from 2 wheel drive to four wheel drive. I have a 1978 3/4 ton crew cab that I swapped the front diffential, springs, and spring mounts out of a 1986 suburban in place of independent front suspension. I found the frame for the 4x4 was much higher in the center then the 2-wheel drive frame, and the front frame horn where the bumper mounted was about an inch higher at the front then the 4x4 frame. The width of the 78 frame truck frame and the 86 suburban frame was almost identical. If your frame is the same you might not have a ride hight issue when you hang the 2 wheel front suspension on the 4x4 frame, but I think it will be higher in the center. If this is the case it will lower the truck in the front end. You will have to take out the second cross member which holds the bump stop for the front axel, but the frame will be strenghtened by the 2 wheel drive saddel that mounts in it's place. It's hard to say without looking at it in person, but I say if the width is the same then with a little fabraction you will be able to hang the front saddle in place. I would make sure your front end is complete so you can measure across and back to make sure you mount it strait. Hopefully this is a little helpful