51 chassis

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Sep 23, 2006.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Strap a seat on it along with a gas can and battery and you can drive it. Split manifold with new exhaust, brakes, alternater conversion, etc. Has a real chicken price on it, you know---cheap cheap cheap. Price will depend on attitude and if you've helped other bolters out. Evan

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

216 C.I. with a three speed is it ? looks like someone's going to get one heck of a good deal .

3. coilover

coilover Member

You know, Nate, my shop has become the type of shop I used to hold in disdain--the home of the high dollar ride. The guys still seek my advice since I've LIVED in these old trucks hey day but they are so skilled and specialized I feel lost in my own place sometimes. If someone comes in and says "I don't want show quality" they tell them that they're in the wrong place. The customer base has changed to where 25K is treated like 25 cents. The one thing that hasn't changed is I still OWN the place so when an opportunity comes up to help out a bolter on a budget the decision is mine, period. I can't alter the labor or parts securement, that's their domain but, I darn sure can find good homes for the leftovers.

4. monzadood

monzadood Member

how much are you asking? where are you located. i am wanting to put my old truck runnable. it has a very solid body . the frame has rotted out on pass. side between the body and cab. the truck was supposed to run and drive but, i`ve no such luck..

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're The Boss !

Evan ;

'tis a great thing you do , I know I rattle on forever about stock but I am also aware that many of these old rigs would be scrapped if not for folks who wanted to hot rod them .

As I always say " it's your truck , make how it pleases you " .

It's nice you take the time to offer up the chassis as I know someone will want it .

I only wish I had the space to save as much old iron as I can, sadly this isn't so , living in town these days .

Having a spiffy clean well equipped shop with (best of all) a nice bit of sealed cement flooring is nice , I can only wish ;)

6. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Long old drive

Coilover, would that chassis make it to england if I put a bit more gas in it and a comfy seat??????

could sure do with it over here!
    ________
    Vapir One Review

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  7. coilover

coilover Member

Brit 50, don't be too surprised if you might could make it. It probably wasn't featured in your papers but over here some Cubans rigged up an old AD truck, about a 1 1/2 ton or so to turn a propeller while holding it afloat with steel drums. Darn near made it the 90 miles.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cuban AD Truck / Boat

I'd like to interject that this fellow dd this not once but THREE TIMES twice in AD trucks and once in a 1959 Buick four door sedan (!) all three times he made it to U.S. waters but our Coast Guard machine gunned the conveyance to sink it......

I have no doubt they'd have made it safely .

The fellow was bound & determined to make it to the U.S. and he eventually made it , now works for a Chevrloet dealer in Florida and is building a replica Advance Design truck / boat....

9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

And, if i'm not mistaken, he left the tires on it so that when he got to shore, he could hook the driveshaft back up and drive it! I saw that truck just the other day on some website, but i can't remember which one.

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Actually , he simply added a large fan blade to the driveshaft for propulsion...

the plan was to drive it up a boat launch ramp when he reached America .

he had no reservations he'd make it whatsoever . (DUH ~ he was driving a Stovebolt ;) he had wife and little kids on board....

This is the typ of immigrant that built this great country and we need more like him , not throw him back THREE TIMES .

-Nate

12. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  13. coilover

coilover Member

Guys, the 51 chassis has a new home. It went to a retired school teacher (we know how rich they are) that still cares for his 89 year old mother. His frame was rusted completely through at the spring perches so it was the perfect solution for him. He now has hopes of at least being able to have a driver as he works on it. Thanks for all the interest and, we have several more AD's to S10 conversions on the calendar so more should be available.

14. monzadood

monzadood Member

thanks for totally ignorin me.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Overlooked

Well , maybe your post got overlooked because you hit the " quote " button instead of the " reply " button and it was so small underneath my post quoted..? :confused:

Anyway he does mention there's more to come and I know these chassis get scrapped out on a regular basis so don't give up hope , here's hoping you'll get one to fix upyour old truck ere long .

16. coilover

coilover Member

It could very easily be a goof on my part also, when I tried to reply there was a flash that said I had gone over the one thousand word limit on the personal forum so I just put down my email address. With computers it's a touch and hope situation for me.

17. monzadood

monzadood Member

i`m gonna go the s-10 frame route. i already have a donor that has a 350 already.