54 3/4 ton Rear End Gears

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by ashanensey, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ashanensey

ashanensey Member

I am sort of worried about running 4:57 gears were we live (I-40 Texas) people are all zipping by you at 75-80 mph. I was thinking about 4:10 or 3:73 gears but wasn't sure if I could find a donor vehicle, any ideas? I heard from a buddy who said 3/4 ton up to '72 ring and pinion would interchange. I am running a Straight 6 (216, I know what your thinking this guy is an idiot well the last guy who owned it was the idiot for putting a 216 in it) and dont want to run that fast maybe 60-65 so i dont need anything flashy. Something to keep from getting ran over. Thanks

2. spika

spika Member

Don't know if you're still in the market, but I just pulled the rear end out of a 52 3/4 ton...I'm pretty sure its still in good condition. I couldn't weigh in on if it would drop right in or not...

3. classic.george

classic.george Member

-
    if your still on here, you can find a ford van years 87-93 and pull the rear end make sure its 8 lug of course but its ratio is 3:55 and with little modification you can make it work. and the lug pattern is the same as your 8 lug front.. it will allow you to go up 15% in speed to about 70 mph