54 chevy 3/4 ton steering arm

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by GSMITH, Oct 14, 2012.

1. GSMITH

GSMITH Member

Hi all

54 chevy with 3/4 ton front axel, do you know if the steering arm that bolts to the spindle (the one the tie rod connects to) do you know if a steering arm from a 56 chevy 1/2 ton will bolt to the 3/4 ton spindle ?
    the arm from the 1/2 ton looks like it would fit.
    Has any one tried this ?
    The reason: to get away from the using the split rims. The 1/2 ton steering arm is a little shorter and would allow room for 8 lug wheel that is not a split rim. I think it would be necessary to use the 1/2 ton tie rod, also.
    Thanks, Guy

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

A lot of the guys here have bought 3/4 ton rigs and changed them to 1/2 ton drivers (???) instead of just buying a 3100 to start with, however, why don't you just go to a tire shop that knows what they are doing and get the rims you want seeing you still want the 8 lug Rims?

3. coilover

coilover Member

This was a problem when we used to go from the factory 16" wheels to the 15" ones. Rim hits arm/tie rod right at outer edge. With all the 17, 18, or bigger diameter wheels available finding one that gives clearance should not be hard. If you don't care for the skinny tire look, like me, then getting wheels with 2.5" back spacing instead of the factory 3.5" would give an extra inch of clearance. Longer lug bolts and whatever spacer is needed for clearance would be the cheapest way out. The S10 frame swap guys are running spacers with no apparent problems

4. Wolf

Wolf Member

Do a search for threads started by me. And look for a thread that is about the rims I got. I got some trailer rims that fit my 8 lug 3/4 ton that look very close to stock, it takes a very keen eye to see any differences. Honestly I can tell because these aren't split. Thats it.