55 Chevy Truck Wipers

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by dane st. cyr, Oct 2, 2007.

1. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

Hey Folks,
    I have a 55 Chevy 2nd series 3800. The restoration is 99% complete. The truck no longer had the vacuum pump / fuel pump when I bought it 22 yrs ago, as part of the restoration I went back with the this pump and I'm not sure of the plumbing to the pump. I know one side has to go to the wiper switch and I dont know what the other side connects with.

Thanks in Advance
    Dane:D

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If you are RESTORING it (ie. making exactly as original) I'll check out the Chevy truck assembly manual tonight and see how it should be.

If you are going to use it and want the best solution (other than electric)
    hook it up like this:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

55-59 Chevy Truck Factory Assembly Manual shows RPO 340, "Fuel & Vacuum Pump" for models 4502, 6702 and 6802 only, six cylinder engine only. Starting at the vacuum port just below the carb on the outside of the intake manifold is an elbow. Leaving that elbow is a steel vacuum line that crosses over the front of the valve cover and then routes down behind the fuel pump, attaching to the bottom port furthest from the block. The other bottom port has another steel vacuum line attached that routes back up beside the first vacuum line crossing back to the vicinity of the carb where it connects to the original vacuum line that goes to the wiper motor.

Hope this helps.

4. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

Thanks Bill , I appreciate the info. . I'm going to hook it up this afternoon and see what happens
    Dane