56 pickup Traction bars?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by badassstepside, Mar 5, 2007.

1. badassstepside

badassstepside Member

Ok so i just picked up a rear end out of a 96 c1500 pickup with 3.73's and a posi unit. Im going to be swapping the rear end into my truck and i was just wondering if anyone had found a place that makes a set of traction bars that would work on the 56 pickup? Thanks

2. 57 restomod

57 restomod Member

I don't know about the tractions bars but if that's a original GM Trac-lok rear I was told that they are not a reliable rearend-- prone to exploding. That said, I put one under my 93 c1500 daily driver that I did a bit of camper towing with and never had a problem with it for the 3 years I had it. I did notice that it had an annoying clankity ratcheting sound at very slow speeds when your foot was off the pedal. Maybe the guy meant they are no good for higher hp racing.

3. Halfton57

Halfton57 Member

Has does the 96 c1500 axle compare in size (width) to the stock '56 axle? I'm looking to swap out the stock rear axle on my '57 to something with the same 6 lug bolt pattern.

4. ljw

ljw Member

I have heard that the one to use is a gm 10.5-which is for some heavy duty application