'57 235 rear main seal replacement

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by vhpeddler, May 12, 2005.

1. vhpeddler

vhpeddler Member

I have a new seal and NAPA kit for pulling old one out and replacing. The lower seems easy, the upper seal removal and replacing presents a challange. Looking for input and advice. Thanks.

2. Rustyoldtruck

Rustyoldtruck Member

RE: '57 235 rear main seal replacem

The cheverolet shop manual says it is necessary to pull the engine out of the chassis and remove the crankshaft to replace the upper part of the seal.

3. vhpeddler

vhpeddler Member

You are correct about the manual.www.danahertool.com makes a oil-sealremover and installer kit #492,that claims to work without removing the engine.I purchased at NAPA. Has anyone had experience with it? I am a bit hesitant to dive into this project.

4. MY 57 CHEVY

MY 57 CHEVY Guest

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-13-05 AT 07:20 PM (CST)]If I remember correctly you will need to leaf the motor in truck , drop oilpan , lossen maincap and remove rear main cap.Lossen mains very little so the crank will drop in the rear to give room to remove and place seal. Fish out old seal and fish or push new seal in. A small block V8 is done this way. If it is a rope type seal you will have to remove the motor. If it is a new style rubber seal it would push right up in the place of the old one. But I'm not sure . If some one know diffent please correct ME. Good luck Brandon

5. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

rear main

FIND a SNEAKY PETE napa use to have them and lots of warm motor oil