57 chevy

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by wyldthng56, Nov 26, 2014.

1. wyldthng56

wyldthng56 Member

Today 01:14 PM
    wyldthng56
    I am new to the club-- i am doing a 57 chevy 3100 shortbox- total resto- has anyone done the disc brakes with mc and booster in orig frame mount?? I would like to see a video of this- can anyone tell me what my rr gear ratio is if the drive line rotated 2 times to the tire 1 time?? Dc

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Montana Wildthng56... Welcome to the forum.

As for the rear end ratio, it's likely either a 3.90 or 4.11.

To get a more accurate reading, try this:

To check rear end ratio jack up one tire if you have an open diff, or both tires if you have a working posi or locking differential. With the tranny in neutral (block the front tires first) rotate the jacked up tire one full revolution for posis and lockers and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3.9 turns, you have a 3.90 gear ratio. ​

Of course the best method is to count the teeth on the ring and pinion but the above method will work if done methodically.

3. wyldthng56

wyldthng56 Member

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

5. wyldthng56

wyldthng56 Member

disc brakes

thanks for the chart--- I want to put disc brakes on the 57- (VALERE)-- I HAVE NOTICED THE KITS HAVE 5 LUG? - AND I SEE THE 70-77 CAMERO ROTORS AND CALIPERS CAN BE USED---- HOWEVER I WANT TO KEEP THE 6 LUG-- CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO GO TO GET THE BEST DEAL AND MATERIALS FROM THE FRAME MOUNTED MC TO THE DISC BRAKES -- COMPLETE?? THERE IS SO MANY DIFFERENT SELLERS AND WHERE TO GO??

6. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

6 lug kits

Look at these sites for 6 lug disc brake kits.
    our host
    lmctruck.com
    ecklerstrucks.com
    bobschevytrucks.com

There are others that provide these kits.

A couple of months ago I was looking at the same kits. I decided to try something different. I installed new wheel cylinders and brake shoes on all 4 wheels. Put in a new dual master cylinder. This improved my brakes a lot. I am thinking of changing the master cylinder to one that has the brake booster, a friend did that and you would be surprised how much more braking he got from that.
    Nothing has the stopping power of disc brakes and we are spoiled because almost everything on the road has them.
    When driving my truck I am mindful of leaving more space to stop in.
    I need 10 acres to stop in and 10 acres to turn around in but I sure enjoy driving my truck.
    Good luck with your brakes.

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

CPP http://www.classicperform.com/ also sells a 6 lug kit, P/N 5559CBK6 1955-59 6-Lug Complete Brake kit $649.00
    Note that a lot of companies use CPP kits and up-charge, so be sure to shop around.

[​IMG]

This is a misconception. Actually you don't get "more braking" from using a booster, you get the same braking with less effort by the driver.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I put disks on the front of my 57 GMC years ago with a dual chamber master cylinder, but without a vacuum booster. I was happy without the power brakes. My theory was that if I could lock up the brakes without the booster, that was good enough.