57 onto 89 frame

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by glen55, Dec 19, 2007.

1. glen55

glen55 Member

Sorry guys, this may have been covered before. I have been given an 89 half ton chev pu, running perfect ,lots of new parts etc. i have a 57 shortbox with a volare front clip, but nothing hooked up (brakes ,steering etc) Has anyone done a body onto a newer frame? and how did it work, less work than the clip . I would think it would be easier having all chevy. Shortening the frame is no problem.Thanks for all your help and tips for the last couple of years

2. sparky59

sparky59 Member

Never done this swap before, but am considering this type of swap to get the 4x4 if i can not locate the correct napco components. I did put a 51 ford pu on a bronco chassis and it was straight forward. 4 cab mounts, a front mount for the radiator support and I shortend the box to fit the frame rather than cut up a frame and driveshaft. anyway I got ps, pb and 4wheel drive-i could go to the local store for parts and it would go anywhere any time. I have done a bunch of rigs over time putting chevy motors/tranny in fords and I always worry when I head out on the hiway -except for the bronco truck - knowing that the suspension and brakes were factory units really gave piece of mind. The one down side was when I (foolishly) sold it, most people did not see it as worth what I thought it was -too modified....I will probably build myself another one with the apache cab i have if the right frame comes along...good luck!

3. glen55

glen55 Member

zthanks Sparky, I feel the same way about the feeling of security on the road. Its nice to be able to buy parts off the shelf. Anyone else has experience with this swap please reply. Thanks

4. b100-57

b100-57 Member

glen55 Hi: just found this forum. I am contemplateing a similar project, puting my 57 gmc on a 90 chev 4x4 chasis useing a 6.2 diesel, 4L80E trans. I will be running on my own homemade biodiesel and also a water methanol injection toped off with hydrogen. I already run my 05 duramax, 92 6.2 work truck, case payloader and heat my house with it. Sounds like there might be some progress developing on here!! Good luck, keep us posted. I'm planing on starting mine around 4-08.

5. aeropaw

aeropaw Member

I am about to start a frame swap but after measuring my 59 and my donor 91 Chevy shortbed. I am thinking about cutting the floorpans and firewall out leaving all of the pedals heater/ac and all else still attached to the 91 frame and set my 59 cab onto it. The firewalls and floors all measure out close enough to work. Just a thought. I am going to widen the floor or reduce the step wells down where they just clear the doors when shut.I have done several full frame swaps and welding body mounts to a frame takes a lot of time and aggravation to get it lined up right and you still need to mount the master cyl. steering column and ect.