59 chevy truck oak bed wood

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by toddstergto67, May 19, 2007.

1. toddstergto67

toddstergto67 Member

i just bought oak bedwood for my 59 chevy truck, i'm kind of confused on how to prepare it, do i stain it, or varnish? do i use poly to seal it or use a wax? i want it to last, please help, thanks

2. 1958 Cameo

1958 Cameo Member

There was a really good Tech article about staining bedwood awhile back
    in Custom Classic trucks or Classic trucks magazine's if I can find it I will
    let you know witch one,I believe it was (Bruce Horkeys )as the supplyer
    and they did the tech article on prepping and staining the wood.
    If there was one thing I can tell you from being in the Door buisness is you
    want to seal all six side's of each board .
    FWIW,Allen

3. 1958 Cameo

1958 Cameo Member

4. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

i just went thru this twice. If you use any type of stain , cover it with urethane . i fyou want an original style finish , use Danish oil thats colored . or if you want to go completely original use boiled linseed oil , DO NOT mix LINSEED OIL and STAIN.

5. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

i founde the site www.chevytrucks.org an dthis willtake you to a Jeffs place or something like that and give wood measurements and how to cut and original finishes.

6. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Hi, Assuming that you want a natural finish to show off the wood grain-- use spar varnish (also known as marine varnish). Be sure to coat the board ends several times to get a good seal. Install the boards with a " Frown" when looking at the grain in the ends to minimize warping.
    Good luck.
    Glenn

7. mike 16

mike 16 Member

wood finish

actually a mixture of linseed oil and "lamp black" what ever that is. I use a quart of linseed oil every year and the wood last forever. even rotten wood comes back a little. an added plus is that wood splinters from a linseed oil treated piece of wood is very resistant to infection. It also resists rusting of the metal fittings. A quart will cover an 8 foot bed perfectly. Dont know what lamp black is. Suppose to be available as a pigment in art supply stores. nobody I ask knows what it is.