61 C10 questions

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Kansas Kid, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Kansas Kid

Kansas Kid Member

Ok guys, I got a couple of questions for ya. I'm sure you know alot more about the 60-61 Chevrolet pickups them me, so here it goes.

I have access to a 61 C-10 Chevrolet pickup. It has an I6 motor (not sure what CID) and a 4-speed manual transmission. The truck is a fleetside shortbed, and of course is a 2wd. The body is in fairly good shape, but the fenders are rusted out right in front of the doors. The rocker panels are in good shape, and the only problem I noticed with the bed is that it looked like somebody tried to replace a stake pocket at one time, and did a bad job. So here are my questions.

1. Where else should I look for possible rusting. I don't have any idea on where the 60-61 trucks are prone to rust.

2. I would really like to make this truck into a 4wd. How would you recommend I go about this. Can the frame from a 73-87 truck be swapped under the body of this pickup? A good buddy of mine said he can do this easily, but I'm not so sure. If so, what difficulties might I run into? Or would should I start the search for an original 60-66 4x4 frame and running gear, and go from there.

3. Where should I start on a restoration. Would you leave the truck untouched until I can find a 4x4 frame to swap, or start with some body and interior work until I find a frame.

Any help is appreciated, Kyle. :)

2. A60_63Chevy

A60_63Chevy Member

RE: 61 C10 questions RUST specific

Welcome Kansas Kid,

Suggest you check Chevy Duty Online Catalog :
    60-66 Parts : Exterior Parts : Patch Panels
    Essentially all of the Rust prone areas are covered in the catalog.

Cab Corner, Rocker Panel, Inside/Outside Door Bottom,
    Front Fender Rear Lower Tip, Cab Floor ,etc.etc.

Folks at Chevy Duty have been good to me, I'm sure you'll find the same.
    Wesley
    Sacramento, Ca.

3. 63Truck

63Truck Member

Kid.... I would leave that truck a 2wd espically if all the parts are stock and orignal!!!! And do a resto... it's worth more that way..... If you must convert it! ...... I have understood that frames will work up to the late 70s but get that confirmed... I saw a 60-66 body on a 74 4wd frame but it was turned into a monster (street) truck!!! so fabrication was really heavy.... I don't think it would be a bolt on application and if you do change it good luck!!!!! I would look into getting the suspension changed on the 61 to 4wd as an option.... If your trying to find a stock 60-66 4wd they are around but hard to find and finding parts for the suspension is....... well, I'm still looking after 4 yrs (actively for about 6 months)...... the way to tell what size the I6 is..... 230 has the distributor in the middle of the block.... 250 has the dist. near the front and the 292 has off set motor stands/mounts..... All of those motors are really good for towing and the performance can be improved to be very respectable..... If you have a 292 I would keep it and build it up......

1963 Chevy 4x4 1/2 ton
    350/400/NP205/3.73
    33X12.5X15 Fun Country

4. Kansas Kid

Kansas Kid Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-01 AT 02:12 PM (CST)]Thanks for the help guys. If I can get a place to start working on this truck, I'm sure I will be around alot more.

I think my ole man wants me to keep the truck as a 2wd, but I would really like to convert to 4wd. It would just be all the more reason to use it as a daily driver. LOL I can't say that I've ever seen a 60-61 Gm pickup on the road, just don't seem very popular. Is there something wrong with me since I think the hood looks cool? Right now my preference is to look for a 60-66 4wd frame and use that for the swap. I just see using a frame from a different style being alot more work then expected. Plus it would be a bit more original using the correct frame and 4wd components. My only concern about that is it being impossible to find parts, like you mentioned. I'll have to look at the motor and find out which one it is. If its the 230 at some point in time I'm sure it will be replaced by a larger motor.

Thanks again.

5. len michelson

len michelson Member

Keep it stock, converted daily drivers only last so long, stock lasts forever. I put a 283 in my '61 panel back in 1971, it's still stock, and I still drive it. But if you do want to part with those torsion bars from the front end let me know.