'63 C10 Dash speaker mount

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ecpilot, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ecpilot

ecpilot Member

Hi All, I am a newbie to this forum and recent purchased a '63 C10 stepside with 13,800 original miles on it. The outside has just been repainted and I am doing some work to spruce up the inside. This was a "base" truck with no original radio, lighter, etc. It also only has one sun visor! Now that's base! I have purchased an after market radio what will fit the original dash openings and some kick panel speakers. I also bought a dual front speaker that was to be mounted in the dash but there is no mounting hardware to affix this speaker to. Has anyone had any luck installing one of these or is it a waste of time searching for a mounting scheme? I have read some threads as to these having pretty poor audio quality and maybe I should just think about building a couple of under the seat speakers to go with the kick panels. Thoughts and suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

The speaker mount brackets are part of the speaker, you`ll have to come up with something...pics of original speaker...they do have kick panels for the vent area that contain speakers that would be your best bet....donot cut your doors as you will regret it later....!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. ecpilot

ecpilot Member

No not going to chop up the doors! I will just install the kick panel speakers and maybe build some speakers for under the seat. Thanks for the pictures and explanation of the install. I figured it was bolted to the radio in some fashion to support it. Thanks again! Here are some pictures....

Attached Files:

4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Sweet truck you have..!

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whoa !

Nice rig you have there ~ what it a Fire support rig or what ? . not many these days with low miles apart from old Fire rigs .

I logged serious miles in a '63 K10 Suburban and stepper short bed , both had 250 I6 engines . this was back in the mid to late 1960's in Rural New Hampshire and I imagine both were scrapped for rust long ago .

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

ecpilot,

I have the same speaker you posted a link to..... I didn't use it. I hooked it up to my truck stereo and it sounded less than stellar.

Here's a thread by Woogeroo about how the speaker mounts: https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=18510&highlight=speaker

What I ended up doing was using a couple Sony SS-B1000 performance bookshelf speakers. I cut them down to fit under the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013