'63 C10 Front Shock Mount loose!

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Jonnygogo, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

My driver's side upper shock mount won't stay tight. I know this is a problem area for these trucks as the mounting point for the shock is only fixed at one end putting lots of leverage on the single mounting hole in the frame.

I have found some aftermarket fixes available (Western Chassis and Performance Online) that either replace the mount or stabilize it. One looks like it requires cab removal to install and one assumes the shock mounting bolt is in good condition and mine isn't.

My mounting bolt is all bunged up and needs to be replaced.
    Does anyone know of where I might get a replacement shock mount????

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

[​IMG]

Is this what you need, Early Classic Enterprises sells them, may even find them at Oriely`s, Napa, auto zone.

3. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

That looks really close. I assumed it wouldn't be available at auto parts stores ... Duh! Thanks! We shall see.

4. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

Hardest part was finding the parts.

Which I suppose is often true for this old iron. So I looked at O'Reilly's and Auto Zone and they both carried the same thing: a 'universal' shock mount that was the same diameter at both ends ... which wouldn't work. So, I ordered the bolt listed and pictured above (thank you very much) and a reinforcement bracket from Eckler's that was easy to install. Red Loctite and as much elbow grease as I could muster. So far so good but I only drove it 40 miles. I have a backup plan but it involves using another bracket and modifying the wheel well sheet metal to get at the frame as this bracket is bolted on TOP of the frame: PITA. Cross your fingers this holds. It has been loose for a long time and the truck is oddly quiet(er) and smooth(er) : ) The worst part of this was getting the old hardware off, I almost had to cut it off but it finally came loose after blasting away at it with an impact wrench until I was deaf and my daughter was holding her ears. So thanks for the advice!!![​IMG]

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Part Number and Link

Thanks for posting this. That extra bracket is a great fix! Got any P/N's information for us?

Update: 10-21-2013 Eckler's P/N 121067

They also have a heavy duty bracket, Eckler's P/N 121066... which ain't so heavy duty... using angle that bolts to the face and the top would be much stronger, but here is a link and a photo:
    http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-truck-shock-mounts-front-upper-heavy-duty-1960-1970.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Upper Shock Mount Upgrade

Nice ! .

Does this work on the '67 ~ '72 rigs too ? .

So far my '69 C/10's are fine but I always look and wonder...

7. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Great add on Jonnygogo, thats a future project, got just the steel plate for it.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Stated to work for 1963 through 1972, added a link above.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx ! that's good to know .