64 bed board replacement kit

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by willg54, Oct 28, 2001.

1. willg54

willg54 Member

I have a 64 1/2 ton long bed fleetside chevy pickup. I am replacing the boards in the box (97 inches long). Can anyone tell me where I can find the least expensive kit to use. I need the boards, the metal hold down strips, and the carriage bolts and nuts. If I don't use a prefab kit, can I use a #2 white pine for my boards (to save $, instead of using a hard wood), or will they be too fragile to support the weight of the box? If I didn't use white pine, what would be the next least expensive wood that would support the weight of the box?
    Okay, thanks for your help!! :)

2. ChevroletC10

ChevroletC10 Member

Well if you end up buying a pre-fab kit, Chevyduty is by far the cheapest I've found and all of the products that I have ordered have been top knotch quality. Might be easier to just get the kit in the long run!

3. basketcase

basketcase Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-01 AT 02:12 AM (CST)]If you have access to a few woodworking tools you could certainly make your own bed boards. They have a rabbit on each edge for the strips and the bolt holes are recessed. If you have enough of the old ones to use for a pattern for the hole and fender well cut outs it should be easy. If you are doing a service replacement and not concerned with show you can get galvenized carriage bolts at the hardware.

I got a bed wood kit with the unfinished project I bought and it is yellow pine as it is harder but still a lot cheaper than hardwood. It is also what Chevrotet used.

Tom

4. willg54

willg54 Member

Thanks for the help, guys. I ended up buying #2 common white pine. I think it will be strong enough. Just gotta paint the inside of the box, then I'll be ready for the wood!! :7