67 parts to a 77truck

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by chevy man06, Mar 22, 2005.

1. chevy man06

chevy man06 Member

Hey everybody. This is my first time here. I am looking to buy a 1977 3/4ton 4x4 from a buddy of mine. It is an auto with a 350. I can get a 4 speed as well as all the manual parts except the steering column out of a 67 3/4ton 2wd. Will any of the parts off that 67 work? Thanks in advance

Bubba

2. 81 BLAZER

81 BLAZER Member

The bell housing should bolt up just fine, But the problem is the output shaft, The two wheel drive output shaft will not line up with the transfer case...

What I would do is rebuild the turbo 350 and put a stage 2 shift kit in it. the power deleviry is smoother and even though it takes horse power to run it your gain's make it a better choice for most situations. I used to have a 4spd in my old blazer, and I converted it to an auto and will never go back... It has more power and is quicker than ever was with the 4spd. But to each his own!
    Attachments:

3. chevy man06

chevy man06 Member

Hey everybody, just thought I would give an update. I did end up buying the truck and when I started tearing into it I realized the tranny housing was shot.(more than 1 piece broken out). I did finally find a 4speed/transfercase to put in it. It took two months of searching local junkyards in Iowa to find a tranny and a transfer case that would bolt together. Now I just have to figure out the drive shaft situation. I ended up with a 208 transfer case which is a little light I think but it should be fine for what I'm going to pull. This truck is going to be a nice looking farm truck. It will be worked its fair share so I wanted to put in a tranny that I knew would hold up to the work. I also wanted to help gas mileage a little. I might have kept the turbo 350 if it would have had a cast iron case. Truck got ditched when pulling a trailer and it busted the front driveshaft and the tranny housing, which made me wonder, If thats all it took to bust the tranny, if i get caught on a tree stump or a big rock what will keep the tranny from doing it all over again. Anyway the project got slowed down when My buddys and I decided to build a figure 8 truck. Fiure 8'ing is basically a demo derby but you race in a figure 8 pattern for 10 laps in your heat and 15 in the feature. The also run small cars and large cars.

4. myascape

myascape Member

If I had known you were in Iowa, I'd have made you a heck of a deal on a transmission and t-case. I'm always a day late and a dollar short...bummer.

Joe