'68 Chevy/GMC s

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by 74X4Burb, Jul 19, 2003.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I am looking at buying a'68 GMC that comes whith a '68 chevy parts truck.the GMC has a 307 or 327 (the guy dident know which) whatever it is it needs a timing chain. they both have rust in the cab where the floor meets the kick panels, has any one here ever fixed that part of the cab? and one more qustion how hard is it to change the timing chain? any help or advice?.Thanks.Karl

________
    UNIVERSAL HEALTH WAREHOUSE

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I think I figured out why the engine dosent work in that truck.He said it needed a timing chain but I think it has an HEI disdributer on it. would that cause the engine to backfire and not work if you just stuck a hei in it and not hook every thing right?.Karl

________
    Rhode Island Marijuana Dispensary

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I think I figured out why the engine dosent work in that truck.He said it needed a timing chain but I think it has an HEI disdributer on it. would that cause the engine to backfire and not work if you just stuck a hei in it and not hook every thing up right?.Karl

________
    BUY VAPOLUTION

4. 71Longbed

71Longbed Guest

i dont think the HEI would cause it to back fire unless the timming wast adjusted to make it work right and also timming chain isnt to hard to fix

5. leader

leader Guest

I think you will have to drop the sump before you can remove the timing cover to replace timing chain (and sprocket).You could remove distributor,look down hole in intake with flashlight and watch camshaft rotation in relationt to crank rotation as a helper rotates crank forward and back, this will give you an idea of how worn the timing set really is.

6. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

>I am looking at buying a'68 GMC that comes whith a '68 chevy
    >parts truck.the GMC has a 307 or 327 (the guy dident know
    >which) whatever it is it needs a timing chain. they both
    >have rust in the cab where the floor meets the kick panels,
    >has any one here ever fixed that part of the cab? and one
    >more qustion how hard is it to change the timing chain? any
    >help or advice?.Thanks.Karl

HELLO KARL,

LINE THE TIMING MARKS UP ON THE BALANCER AND TIMING TAB WITH THE "0" MARK. REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTATE THE CRANK BY HAND UNTIL THE DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR MOVES. STOP AS SOON AS IT STARTS TO MOVE, NOTICE THE LOCATION OF THE TIMING MARK ON THE BALANCER IN RELATION TO THE TIMING TAB MARKS. THE AMOUNT THE LINE MOVED FROM "0" IS THE AMOUNT OF DEGREES OF PLAY IN THE TIMING CHAIN. 4-6 DEGREES IS O.K.
    ALSO,IF THE ROTOR DOES NOT MOVE YOU HAVE A BROKEN CHAIN.
    MAKE SURE YOU ROTATE THE CRANK SO THE MARK ON THE BALANCER TRAVELS UP THE TIMING TAB FROM "0".

HOPE THIS HELPS.

BRANT

7. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member