68 gmc need tach, gears, & flames

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by jnnyirsh, Jun 27, 2002.

1. jnnyirsh

jnnyirsh Member

I have a 68 gmc 1 ton dually. It came with a camper on it from the factory. I took that off and put a heavy duty rack on. I've got chrome stacks with flappers for exhaust. She's got 40900 original miles, and I just rebuilt the original 327, camelback heads highlift cam and bored 30 over. She's a screamer! The motor before was rated at a mere 220 horse now around 350+. The problem is the gears are very low with a granny shifter besides. At 55 mph its wound right out. I need gears bad, right now they are probably 4:88 or 5:13. I would like to swap out the ring and pinion to something like 4:11 or so. Any help would be appreciated.
    I also need an in dash tach conversion. I can't really afford to spend $300 on it. Anyone have one in a truck they can take out and sell me?
    Now for the flames... I would like to be able to shoot flames out of the stacks on command. I don't want to do it by choking the engine. I'd rather do it with maybe a propane and spark plug set up. Any info on how to rig that up or something like it would be appreciated.

Love my truck

You ever see a 68 dually light 'em up? Woo-Hoo