'72 C-10 Ignition Switch Removal

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by dmcnga, Sep 27, 2008.

1. dmcnga

dmcnga Member

I am trying to remove the ignition switch in order to replace the key cylinder.
    I have the escutcheon loose but can't get the switch out of the dash. I can keep turning it but it does not loosen any more. Is there a trick to getting it apart?

2. seah2os

seah2os Member

Ignition switch removal

You have to remove the ignition cylinder from the switch...place a straightened paperclip in the hole on the face of the ignition cylinder and turn the switch with the key in it to the left (auxillary) and pull out....it may be the reverse order as well...rotate to auxillary and then push the pin into the hole and pull.Hope this helps

3. Soba_03

Soba_03 Member

Ignition Switch removal

Seah0's,

I'm courious, what if you don't have the key to turn it? Can you insert any key? It was something that I thought of when I read the post. I wondered if maybe he doesn't have a key. Just a question that I thought might help add clairety to the post.. thanks..

4. seah2os

seah2os Member

Missing key..then what ?

Hmmm....I believe if you didn't have the key, you might have to resort to drilling out the ignition since the key actuates the tumblers. However, my 71 had an ignition so worn that any straight slot screwdriver would start it, so perhaps if the ignition is well worn, it may work with any key. Worth a try !