81 Blazer 4X4

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by McCormic, Apr 9, 2008.

1. McCormic

McCormic Member

I picked up this blazer rotting in an empty lot, not sure I will buy it, kind of depends on how bad the motor and body are once I get time to go over.

I do have some questions on it though. I live in Mexico and am buying this truck for run around and camping, hill climber etc.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh246/hypr_fusion/IMG_5469.jpg
    As it sat in the yard

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh246/hypr_fusion/IMG_5470.jpg
    This is of the wheels that it rides on, 15x10 unknown offset.

This is what I know so far.
    It has a 305 motor in it, I can tell the u-joints need to be replaced and the motor burns some oil but not sure how bad yet. New spark plugs, change all tubes and filters..etc. Rear window is busted out. Suspension replaced and upgraded some. The body has some mild rust all around while the tail gate has 2 or 3 places that is pretty bad.

1. anyone know what size the wheels that came on this from the factory (or know where I can find out)

2. on those type rims, what size tire would be good to put on without installing a lift kit. ( I will eventually, I am sure)

3. Any one have any suggestions on what would be good to install to upgrade the torque on the motor or improve it overall.

4. Any upgrades of recommendations on making this a better ride for hill climbing and camping (No mudding unless its between me and my destination)

Thanks a bunch for any advice.

BTW if you need more pics or information please let me know.

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

Put a set of 31 x 10.5 15s tires on it..... also you could put a set of exhaust headers on it to get a bit more torque.

3. McCormic

McCormic Member

I can not decide between

Firestone Destination M/T
    and
    Kumho Road Venture MT KL71

Both in 33X12.5R15

I am also looking at the Destination A/T as well.. but I know nothing about tires..

I bought a lift kit, didn't realize how affordable they are. Also trying to find some good exhaust headers here that I can have installed while they have the truck up.

I pulled the carb off and ordered an engine rebuild kit and hoping to get to that this weekend. I want to change out all the gaskets, I had to order out of country for the heavy shocks I wanted... not sure what else I can do to it without breaking my bank =)

Appreciate the advice and take care
    McCormic

4. David Hall

David Hall Member

The factory wheel was steel, 15x7, 6 lug, with 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern
    Hope this helps