'88-'98 IFS differential ?'s

Discussion in '1988-1998' started by HOT RODDER 1932, Nov 30, 2008.

1. HOT RODDER 1932

HOT RODDER 1932 Member

I have to disassymble the front diff on a '88 1/2 ton with IFS and there is a lock tang inside the case after the half shaft is removed. Is the nut it holds in place for pre-loading the carrier bearings. I can't find a tech manual with any info, and the local GM dealer won't give me any info and the parts diagram they gave me has poor detail.

2. HOT RODDER 1932

HOT RODDER 1932 Member

Carrier adjustment

The lock tab holds the adjustment for carrier bearing pre load and backlash from changing. This makes for easy setup; no pulling bearings to change shims. If any one has questions about these diffs just ask I am about to rebuild my second one.

3. davedarb

davedarb Member

chevy ifs

I am having a problem with my ifs front end. THe right front inner axle slides in and out about 1" to 1 1/2". Is there a retainer clip inside the housing that keeps the axle in place? And how far in do I have to go to get too it?
    Thanks.

4. HOT RODDER 1932

HOT RODDER 1932 Member

right axle problem

The right axle does have a retainer clip inside of a shaft that the engagement collar for the actuator slides on. It is easy to replace if that is the only problem. Chances are something else is damaged if you have lateral play in the shaft. You will have to remove the diff from the truck. All Metric! Jack up the front end; put it on stands; remove the wheels; remove the CV retainer nut; remove wheel bearing assymbly; disconnect the upper ball joint; remove the 6 CV flange bolts and the CV joint; disconnect the wiring; drain the diff; remove the 4 diff mounting bolts and lower it with a jack(you'll probally have to move the steering all the way either direction); remove the actuator and sensor; take the right axle tube assymbly off of the diff assymbly; inspect for wear and damage. The axle will have a small chamfer on the end of it with a grove for the retainer about a 1/4" in from it. I can provide part numbers for some of the parts. The bearings and seals can be bought at napa(I recommend replacing the pilot bearing for the axle) some of the other parts you'll have to go to a GM dealer. The axle is $400 from GM so if you need that go to a junk yard or pick & pull.

reply with any other questions and I'll get back ASAP
    Jared

5. HOT RODDER 1932

HOT RODDER 1932 Member

Parking Brake

Don't forget the parking brake and to chock the tires. Safety First!!!

6. MN250R

MN250R Member

1998 Tahoe IFS Differential

OK, here's where I'm at: I was getting a lot of noise coming from the front differential so I decided to pull it and get one from a local salvage yard. Since it was a Saturday and no yards were open, I decided to have a look inside to see if I could see what was causing the noise that I was hearing. When I removed the passenger side stub axle and tube I noticed the lock tab was bent up high enough to allow the "nut" to turn, which would then allow the carrier bearings to tighten or loosen at will. After further inspection I noticed a very slight amount of wear on the carrier bearings, but not much at all, and no abnormal wear on the ring or pinion. So, with that being said, I would much rather buy new carrier bearings and do this myself. My problem now is finding info on these front diffs. Everybody likes to claim they are some sort of GM voodoo that only a trained tech should attempt, but after seeing how they work and what all is there, I am confident I can do this myself with the proper info. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jon