A stupid thing to try

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cowboy, Sep 21, 2002.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Well, i just tried to put my windsheild in tonight and well i get to spend my 500$ on a new windsheild. So the engine is on hold for now and i think that for the engine i'm going to have the stock heads ported and polished and have bigger valves put in it.
    cowboy
    1961 chevy1/2 ton (496 on hold) known as sarah

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit Rick!

sorry about your bit of hard luck. don't let it bring you down, man.

not meant as a putdown...but what stupid thing did you try?

Myron

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

well it wasn't that it was stupid but i should have had the windsheild installed professionally. I saw a 1961 GMC today and the hood is awsome. they are different than a 61 chevy.
    cowboy

4. klif47

klif47 Member

Well, I've been working on my 61 C10 for a few years now. I bought a new windshield gasket and thought I could take out the windshield, put in the new gasket and slide the windshield back in and everything would be rosy. Of course the windshield shattered as it was coming out. I messed around, shopped the junkyards etc and finally just bit the bullet.
    I called up my local windshield guys and said do it. The came with a roll back, took my truck to the shop, put in the windshield and new gasket, loaded it back up and delivered it back the next day to the tune of $526.62.
    The green tint window list at 821.45 and they took a 67.77 percent discount on it and got it for me at 264.75. The new gasket was 84.43 (yeah, I know, I had a new one and it was cheaper at Chevy Duty but what you gonna do) and the labor was $150. So, for 523.62 my truck looks almost like a truck again.
    I spent a lot of time today taking off the old bed front panel and getting ready to put on that Chevy Duty replacement. I also put the passenger door back on and did some more priming, getting it ready for more stuff to go on. I also bought a hood a few years ago and found it to be a GMC hood. It looks different but I mounted some parking lights up in the grill bit of it and it doesn't look to bad. At the rate I'm working the truck (George is his name) should be on the road in the next 5 to 6 years.
    Cliff

5. new62owner

new62owner Member

I have a local source at the same price. Unbelievable. I'm considering doing the same thing you did though, pulling the current cracked windshield out so I can make sure the channel is good to go, prime and paint if necessary and slip the old one back in until I get the whole truck painted.

Cliff, you wouldn't happen to live near Charleston, SC?

I have an inverted L shaped crack, about 4 inches up from bottom, branching 90 degrees toward the driver's side, about another 4 inches long. Weird crack.

Any tips, anyone, before I start?

Rob Holden

Born into the Chevy family. There is no substitute.