Advice on brake booster

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Big Richard, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Big Richard

Big Richard Member

I have already swapped out my front end with a 1975. I was doing my research today and discovered that because I have a hydraulic clutch, I may not be able to mount the power booster to the firewall. I have a 1960 Apache 1/2 ton with an sm420. Has anyone had this problem and what was the fix? I am open to suggestions.

I have already considered modifing the clutch pedal, cut a new hole in the firewall, and have a separate reservoir for the clutch?

I am looking for ideas before I reach that stage of my rebuild.

2. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

At Classic performance parts(www.ccp.com) they offer a unit with the clutch slave cyl and bake booster all in the same unit avertised as a bolt on unit. Kilroy was here!!!

3. Big Richard

Big Richard Member

Thanks Kilroy. I saw that late last night. If it is a direct bolt on unit, that's the way to go. Time to work some overtime. I plan on installing a Tremec TKO five speed later. Do you know if they use a hydraulic cluth?

4. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

I could be wrong but I think either hydraulic or linkage clutch will work.

1986+ Chevrolet trucks used hydraulic bell housings on the "old" transmissions... you should be able to use one of these bellhousing set ups. I'm currently doing this swap on an old 70's 4wd SM465 (4 speed) transmission.... bolts up with no problem.

Be aware, Chevrolet made two different hydraulic clutch set ups for trucks through these years, one was driver side "regular" set up, the other was I think passenger side "low" set up to clear narrow frame rails...