air cleaner

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jackson, Mar 8, 2011.

1. jackson

jackson Member

Just acquired an air cleaner off a '53 1 1/2 or 2 ton and I was wondering if it is the same as what came on a 3/4 ton? Also, I'm guessing the cage looking part is of the original assembly and that you use that copper mesh mat'l inside the cage/frame piece?
    Terry

Attached Files:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That would be an oil bath, and it was an option for trucks used in dirty conditions.

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    They even look like "Art Deco", yours is in great shape. The bad part is as far as I can tell, no one makes a replacement filter. Mine has horse hair like material. I soaked it in gasoline and got gobs of sand out of it. I put it in for shows, but I have a paper filter for general driving. They are in demand at swaps and shows.

Flashlight

4. jackson

jackson Member

Is there anything wrong with just using the outer case for looks & using say a fram or wix paper filter if I can't find the right element or filtering mat'l?
    Terry

5. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Some old geezer in California will probably chime in as to how much more filtering you get from the oil bath..........buuuuttt, for simplicity, cleanliness and ease of change, I got a nice paper filter from NAPA that looks original. I did the same with my copper mesh filter.....so easy and inexpensive!

Flashlight

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

No body has mentioned that the air cleaner is part of an RPO positive crankcase ventilation system, as evidenced by the small metal pipe off of the upper plate of the air cleaner. Do you have the rest of the system, or do you just plan on using it as a regular air cleaner. If you don't plan on using it as designed, you'll need to remove the pipe and plug the hole to create the needed "vaccuum" needed for proper operation.

7. jackson

jackson Member

missing parts

Ken, thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware that there was more to the system than what I have. Do you have a link or pics of what I'm missing? There was a hose connected to the pipe that went back toward the firewall then downward out of sight, I didn't see where it went or what is was hooked to, the guy I got it from was in a hurry and was shutting the hood down on me as I was cutting the hose to snag it. I can probably get rest of it from him when he's not in such a rush if I knew exactly what I was looking for.
    Terry

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

BINGO, we have a winner!

Here you go!

001.jpg

Ken;)

9. jackson

jackson Member

So Ken, if I'm looking at this right, I need to get the connector shown in view A, cut a hole in my valve cover,and get the oil filler,ventilator & cap assy. that's connected to the pipe shown in view B for the system to be complete & correct,right? Do you know if this system is of any added benefit over the standard, basic set-up?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Yes. The little pipe out of the top of the air cleaner goes to the side of the valve cover via a rubber hose. The connector on the valve cover is basically the same as the connector on top of the air cleaner. It sucks incomplete gas fumes back into the air cleaner for further combustion. The "oil filler, ventilator & cap assy" replaces the road draft tube and the vaccuum line that goes from it to the heater box on the manifold sucks up incompletely combusted fuel and re-injects it into the compression. Crude, but effective.

Hope this helps!

Ken

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You could just swap valve covers with him.

12. jackson

jackson Member

It's off a'53 216,I've got a '60 235. Just messing around ,I mocked this up. Besides possibly looking stupid, would it be of any benefit to do something like this if I can't get rest of the parts or just patch the hole where the pipe comes out the lid and go with the standard system?

Attached Files:

13. jackson

jackson Member

Flashlight, do you have the complete get-up or just the air cleaner housing that sits on top the carb?
    Terry

14. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Who Knew!! I just use the paper filter and the valve cover vents itself. I never dreamed a PCV system would be present in such an old system. My 47' has a 42' motor and I don't think its present on it. Tennessee does not have inspections so nobody looks to closely, Antiques are exempt anyhow.

I need to dig my Oil bath out and check it out again but I don't remember that fitting. I have nice aftermarket chrome air cleaners on for day to day use. That's what I love about this sight, you can always learn.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cute But ;

This won't do anything as the PCV valve needs vacuum to work .

Just get the oil filler cap with the nipple on it and connect the air cleaner hose to it , this will not do much but will help reduce oil leaking .

If you can find all those parts shown in the RPO diagram , GRAB 'EM ! .

there's actually several different styles of PCV systems for 235's , all work well and are worth upgrading to .

Now the grumpy old man part :D :

Oil bath air filters offer filtration far above and beyond any paper element ever could .

If you go to the hwe. Store & buy some of those coarse copper " Scubby Sally " things , you can replace the gone missing mesh in this filter and it'll work as new again , if you use ATF instead of engine oil , it'll become self cleaning so all you needs do is drain out the dirty ATF & wipe the sludge out of the oil cup , re fill it and motor on happliy . oil bath air filters are only a PIA when you first buy and install them as you must needs do the cleaning & maintenance everyone else ignored for the last 40 years..... :rolleyes: .

Enough ranting for now , coffee's on and I have baby carrots for brekkie :p .

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oil Cap

Martinus here , is looking for the oil filler cap you have in the picture ~ it holds the PCV Valve in place then you just run a hose over to the intake manifold .

I need one of those intake manifold fittings with both PCV/Power Brake nipples and the vacuum nipples on it if anyone has one...... Joe ? .