Air Shocks

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by techops, Jul 12, 2004.

1. techops

techops Member

Just wanted to get the general concensus on air shocks. I am trying to level out my suburban with drop coils but don't want to lose all the cargo capability. We camp and I like to occasionally haul stuff around. It would seem that drop coils and air shocks would be the ideal mix but I notice that none of the classic truck stores sell them. Why?

Thanks,

Paul

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

If you use air shocks, get a good brand. I have a pair of Gabriel High Jackers on a truck, they have been there for about 20 years, they still work like new. Over the years, I have noticed that they do loose air pressure after a few months, I have to put air in them about once every 6 months. They do a great job with heavy loads. I am sure they aren't for everyone, but they have been right or me.

3. smoov330

smoov330 Member

I had air shocks on a 73 ElCamino and they worked Great. Had the truck for about 3 years and there were no problems. Loved them.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I have only seen air shocks used to suppliment rear springs that were old and past their prime. Or to raise the rear to get the California rake effect.

I suppose they could be used to level the rear if you can find them in the correct length.

Did you use a good set of drop shocks when you installed the drop coils ?

5. techops

techops Member

When I upgraded the front end, I put in 2 1/2" drop spindles. The resulting rake was a little too much for me. I ordered 2" HD coils and installed them but they were as high or higher than the stock coils. My dealer ordered me a set of 2" 1/2 ton coils but when they arrived, they were the HD ones as well. He let me try 3" coils which gave me a 4" drop whick looks great but is wildly impractical. I think that the 2" regular coils will give me a 3" drop which is a little more than I wanted. I didn't get shortened shocks because I thought a 2" drop would be OK with the gas magnums. I plan to use the truck to haul a trailer (or junk to the dump) so I don't want to give up all the load capacity. I looked for helper bags (Coil-rites) but couldn't find any for my year range. Sigh.