All alone

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Dec 24, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover Member

No phone, no radio, no people so time to do some long put-off jobs. First up and just completed was dumping florescent and incandescent lights and replacing with LED's. Took 67 eight foot LED bulbs for florescents and 10 spiral LED bulbs to replace incandescent ones. At ten bucks a bulb my Christmas lights are a little pricey this year. Now to drain all three compressors and change/clean the intake filters, and if time allows I'll "re-pave" the paint mixing metal bench top with a new piece of hard board which can be thrown away after crudding up. The wheel on the electric meter seems to be turning slower already and you need snow goggles in the shop.

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Good times...

Spiral LED bulbs? I hate the spiral CFL's.. but love the Edison base LED's.

The CFL's have "issues" in very cold temperatures.. that and they contain mercury which is hazardous (or at least they used too).

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Evan,
    Where did you manage to find eight-foot LEDs for ten bucks a pop?

4. coilover

coilover Member

Mike, Several places but do a search on 8' T8 LED single pin and click on a number and a side bar will list ones for a decent price. One that was very low is on ebay as "cqtradingpo9k3sk(2)". Another is Hypercon (?). Alibaba offers really cheap prices but the shipping is a killer.

5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I hate trying to work in a dark, cave-like, shop. I have simple, porcelin, screw-in, light fixtures, on about an 8' spacing. I changed aĺl the incandesent, 100w, bulbs, out for the LED, 100w, replacements. I haven't compared the utility bill, yet, but expect some savings.
    The "accidental", discovery, of LED's, is a wonderful thing.
    Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.