alternator switch help needed

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by dcracer, Feb 17, 2005.

1. dcracer

dcracer Member

I am wondering how to take care of the wires that go to the voltage regulator or if there is a kit for switching from generator to 1 wire alt.

2. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

If you are using a 1 wire alternator, you only need 1 large wire, to the battery. The alternator starts to charge when it gets a little rpm's. You will probably also need a bracket to mount it depending on your engine setup. Chevy duty carries some. The wires from the regulator, and the regulator itself will all be unneeded after the swap. Hope this helps....Mike

3. dcracer

dcracer Member

ok I am using a 1 wire alternator and have a 283 v8 in the truck, what I needed to know is what to do with the wires that go to thr old regulator, don't some of them go to the amp guage?

4. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Dcracer, generally if you have an ammeter, the large battery wire from the alternator goes to one side of the ammeter, then the other side goes to the battery. The rest of the wires really shouldn't be needed for a 1 wire alternator. My 2 wire setup is that way also , except I use 1 extra wire to the ignition , to fire up the alternator. Hope that helps.....Mike